How active is 11175 USB???

Status
Not open for further replies.

gralston73

Premium Subscriber
How active is 11175 USB as part of the HFGCS? I've had the new Grundig Satellit 750 that I received this morning parked on this frequency all afternoon and have heard nada...

mancow

Database Admin
Very

But, it varies. Just wait and you will hear it. You might try 8992 late at night as well.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Also keep in mind that we are coming off 2 consecutive solar storms, and one more is enroute. This is going to greatly affect what you hear, and when.

You didn't say much about your antenna - no antenna, no signal. Any little whip that comes with the radio isn't going to be all that good (altho I have heard that if you put a couple of radials on the ground post, reception does improve...). The motto is simple - better antenna (to a point), better results.

Check that antenna switch, and make sure that RF gain is cranked to nearly max......Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
We have a separate forum for HFreceive antennas, but here's the guts on the radials- thin speaker wire will do just fine. Consider the lowest and highest freqs you wish to hear. The standard quarter wave formula -234 / f(mhz) where f is the frequency in Megahertz - will do just fine in this app.

Let's say the lowest you want to go is 4 Mhz - that's about 58.5 foot. At 17 Mhz, the length becomes about 13.8 foot. Cut a couple pieces of wire to the desired lengths, run them opposite to one another along the baseboards - they don't even need to be fully stretched out, so you can hide them behind furniture. Strip one end on each wire and connect it to the GND binding post

Done. See if that makes any noticeable improvement (it might - certainly won't hurt)...Mike

Fast1eddie

Been monitoring much more EAM traffic than usual, hearing Fond Memories being called......quite possibly we are kicking or about to kick Islamic State's tail. See CNN, latest newsbreak announcing US activity in the region. Also hearing Offut around 1630is EST, radio service calling for air checks.

gralston73

Premium Subscriber
I had just been using the internal telescopic antenna. I did as Mike suggested with some speaker wire cut to about 25 feet. It's definitely working as I picked up a lot while scanning through the bands. I now have it parked on 8992 USB...let's see if I get anything now.

SCPD

QRT
I had just been using the internal telescopic antenna. I did as Mike suggested with some speaker wire cut to about 25 feet. It's definitely working as I picked up a lot while scanning through the bands. I now have it parked on 8992 USB...let's see if I get anything now.

Ideally you need to scan the major HF-GCS frequencies but you should sit on whichever frequency has the best propagation at the time of day you're listening.

Use WWV as a your reference check. If WWV 15 Meg is coming in very strong then you may want to sit on 15016 or 13200. 11175 will work too but the reception may not be as strong.

Later in the evening, 11175 is best and then 8992 after sunset.

You don't want to sit on 8992 in the early-afternoon hours.

Token

Also 4724 kHz.

The HF-GCS network is typically active with MANY transmissions a day, even on average days. The traffic for the last couple days might be slightly elevated over "normal", but certainly not higher than might be experienced during an exercise weekend.

People often try to make too much out of the number of messages sent per day or the length of messages. The simple fact of the matter is you cannot tell anything that is going on by the length or number of coded messages sent each day. And you REALLY can’t tell anything by the operators voice, in some forums you hear comments like “the announcer was really stressed sounding during that transmission”, pure hog wash, but people will want to sensationalize what they can.

Some of the other traffic on the net, however, can be quite revealing.

There is also a web site out there with a “chart” of relative Skyking message importance. It claims something along the lines that hearing Skyking said once is a training message, twice is “normal” traffic, three times is an emergency, and four times means action is happening now….errrr...not sure what fantasy land that chart came from. So take what you find on the web regarding the HF-GCS network with a grain of salt, some information is quite accurate (but generally unconfirmable), other stuff is completely out to lunch.

T!

topnik

Some discrete freqs...in use as of the last few weeks...

8008.5 (I know...this spells something...I've used it and I've heard it used as a 'common/get well' freq...not any kind of assigned freq...just one to put in the xcvr when all else fails...sort of like 123.45)

Sure there are others...

krokus

Premium Subscriber
There is also a web site out there with a “chart” of relative Skyking message importance. It claims something along the lines that hearing Skyking said once is a training message, twice is “normal” traffic, three times is an emergency, and four times means action is happening now….errrr...not sure what fantasy land that chart came from.

That would be a major OpSec violation.

The radio operator does not know the content of the coded messages, for EAMs, they just have an encoded message they read.

Sent via Tapatalk

krokus

Premium Subscriber
OP, there is a pretty steady flow of encoded messages across the network. Hearing the other traffic can be the gems. :)

Sent via Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.