How am I doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raptor05121

I've had my license for a little over two weeks now. Just stocking up on some hardware and thought I'd share. I definitely need to go scrounging through some yard sales and find me a "radio desk" to put all of these things on.

GFFS102.jpg

2x Kenwood TK-7180s in a custom base, powered by a Astron SL-11A power supply, with a Micronta SWR meter inbetween one of the two Laird 1/4" wave VHF antennas. I've usually got the top one on dispatch for Fire and the bottom on the local 2m.

GFFS109.jpg

Kenwood TS-940S. This is the BUFF of them all. I still don't know how to work it, but it does look cool and has lots of bragging right. Coupled with a Kenwood MC-60, and going through the antenna tuner to 75' of LMR-400 to a 30' single pole HF antenna outside the house.

GFFS103.jpg

My older Realistic HTX-100 for the good old 10m to use my Tech on. Its got an NGC2000 on top of it, and is powered by the Astron VS-35M underneath the antenna tuner. With my pride of the fleet Kenwood TK-3180 VHF portable on the top. I got it for $150. I use it mainly for public service (and as a pager) but it sees use as a 2m HT from time to time when I'm close to the repeater.

GFFS112.jpg

My RadioShack 2A power supply (CB days) next to an old RCA marker-generator (anyone know what this damned thing is used for???)

GFFS114.jpg

Can't forget the old Realistic scanner! So many hours listening to this before I was able to buy a paging transceiver.

GFFS113.jpg

Lastly, some el-cheapo CB radios back from the days of High School. I was given the Maxon MCB-30 for my 17th birthday and used it to communicate with buddies going to and from school. Then I got real smart and upgraded to Cobra CB19 Ultra III with a 50W speaker under the front bumper for a PA.

GFFS106.jpg

WX4EMT

Premium Subscriber
Don't take any lip of anyone! If that's your starter shack then you are definitely going places. That Kenwood 940S may have a few years on it's design but that radio will talk anwhere you want to talk, anytime you want to talk. Good job!

Believe it or not my "command center" is built on a computer table I bought at Sam's for less than $100.

PICT0001-1.jpg

SCPD

QRT
only thing I see is you have a swr meter for the 2 kenwood radios and it will not give you a accurate reading

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Not too bad for starting out. Deff need a bigger desk like WX4EMT has. Yea and that CB SWR meter isn't gonna work on those two kenwood mobiles.

N5TWB

Looks like you are well on the way to regular pleas from your wife to do something about all your radios -- about normal for most hams, I think.

Kasmus

You got the creative chaos thing right, now it's time to bring the research component up to speed and you'll be a hacker sooner than you might realize. :p

GSPD

Could use some zip-ties and caution tape, imho.

Now that's funny! I see you've got yourself listed as a firefighter.....I can see you running through those power cords when the pager goes off and radios trailing behind you!

Couldn't resist, but there is some nice Kenwood gear....

w2rea

I was at a Goodwill type store recently and they had some really nice computer desks that were all around $20.00. They would make great radio desks. Check out some stores like that and pick up a desk, it will help you get a lot more orginized and comfortable when operating.

73 W2REA

Raptor05121

Could use some zip-ties and caution tape, imho.

Now that's funny! I see you've got yourself listed as a firefighter.....I can see you running through those power cords when the pager goes off and radios trailing behind you!

Couldn't resist, but there is some nice Kenwood gear....

Thanks buddy. Yeah I kid you not, 20 minutes after I posted this picture I realized that and decided to unplug/move everything. Good thing too, we got toned out to a car accident later that morning.

I'm a Technician for a Kenwood Distributor down here. Details to come if you're interested.

Looks like you are well on the way to regular pleas from your wife to do something about all your radios -- about normal for most hams, I think.

No wife for me. I'm an outlier of sorts when it comes to the age group- I'm only 20.

Ah! And I forgot to include pictures of my truck! I have a total of THREE Yaesu FT-2400Hs 2m with the jumper mod so I can talk on 2m and public service VHF. Two of them don't work, so I scrambled and mismatched a bunch of parts to get one good working rig. Other two for sale (parts) if interested.

RodStrong

Interesting decorative style. I like the retro-squalor effect.

Thanks for posting.

N8DRC

Premium Subscriber
Hello
Looks good nice start, love the Kenwood TS-940S those are cool radios....

zz0468

QRT
Banned
How are you doing so far?

Excellent!

My RadioShack 2A power supply (CB days) next to an old RCA marker-generator (anyone know what this damned thing is used for???)

I haven't seen the marker generator for 30 years. I used to use one to set levels on an old analog microwave system many years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.