How bad will 700-800 digital hurt scanner sales?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrumpyAeroGuy

Premium Subscriber
a) UPMan, can you give us any rough number on the number of scanners sold annually?

b)I was told once that most scanners are bought by cops or their familys. Or maybe it was - most scanners are bought be police, fire, or ambulance people and/or their families. Which I took to mean that family members wont to be sure that their loved ones were OK when they were on duty.

a) doubt he will, that is sorta-kinda information that drives competitive advantage and business strategy.

b) FOr me, that was, originally, the case. I was a firefighter in a previous life, and my wife enjoyed having the scanner while I was on duty--- mind you this was back in the pre-cell-phone era, or at least before the cell phones had proliferated to the rate we see them today.

Today, I just enjoy it as a way to stay connected with my previous life and folks I know that are still doing it, and a part of my life that I actually miss quite a bit.

I believe that a significant chunk of scanner sales today are, indeed, realized in the public safety arena as you indicate. I also believe that there is an equally significant chunk of sales that are attributed to general interest, and OTHER hobbyists, such as folks listening to Aviation and such, but this doesn't require a DIGITAL scanner particularly/necessarily.

Status
Not open for further replies.