How bad will 700-800 digital hurt scanner sales?

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
Can't wait for the new 700mhz P25 system is coming soon to my area. I think the 700/800mhz and some what of the 400mhz band will help sell the digital scanners.

bigcam406

whats the sense of spending 500 bucks on a scanner that wont decode encryption? in my area,there is going to be a new system(p25) implemented over the next year thats going to be encrypted.the local scanner dealer didnt know this,and when i showed him documentation on this,he quoted"there goes 50% of my business"even the regional fire dept is going to be encrypted.i guess it all depends on your location.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
whats the sense of spending 500 bucks on a scanner that wont decode encryption?

Because:

(a) not everyone is effected by encryption. Many entities and agencies choose not to encrypt.

(2) if you are going to wait for a scanner that will decode encryption, you will be waiting for a very long time. It's not a question of capability of the scanner (i.e. they just need to figure out how to do it), it's a question of legality (it's 100% completely against the law - that's the point of encryption, to mask sensitive data).

Now, if this discussion turns completely to encryption, I foresee the powers that be closing it, as there are plenty of other discussions on that topic, including a large encryption containment thread. So I implore you to let it go..

bigcam406

like i said in my post,depends on your location.and i already know the legalities of encryption.if you know for a fact that your area is going to be using encryption for first responders(like in my area),does it make sense to spend money on something that wont work in order to hear these comms? ummmm,no.that was the point i was trying to make.i wasnt starting a discussion on encryption.

Last edited:

bnoland

Premium Subscriber
As far as I can tell you it only helped. My area runs everything just about on 800 digital system (many trunked too) as well as most of the areas I travel to. If not for that I would not have gotten a digital scanner. Will it discourage some who might be interested from even trying? Sure, it will. Those who are truely interested or have been involved for many years will buy the equipment it takes to continue to enjoy scanning.

N4GKS

Because:

(a) not everyone is effected by encryption. Many entities and agencies choose not to encrypt.

(2) if you are going to wait for a scanner that will decode encryption, you will be waiting for a very long time. It's not a question of capability of the scanner (i.e. they just need to figure out how to do it), it's a question of legality (it's 100% completely against the law - that's the point of encryption, to mask sensitive data).

Now, if this discussion turns completely to encryption, I foresee the powers that be closing it, as there are plenty of other discussions on that topic, including a large encryption containment thread. So I implore you to let it go..

Dupe.

N4GKS

Because:

Can you paste the thread for the encrypton discussion?

N8IAA

To throw another chicken into the pot, most of the newer systems that are going 700MHz will have the option to go Phase II P-25. It uses a different digital format, TDMA. As I type this, there are several systems that employ X-2 TDMA, which supposedly, only one scanner currently in production decodes- the GRE PSR-800. I realize that this is posted in the Uniden forum, but, since the OP asked about 700/800MHz, this point needs to be made.
Larry

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
UPMan, can you give us any rough number on the number of scanners sold annually? I was told once that most scanners are bought by cops or their familys. Or maybe it was - most scanners are bought be police, fire, or ambulance people and/or their families. Which I took to mean that family members wont to be sure that their loved ones were OK when they were on duty.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
To throw another chicken into the pot, most of the newer systems that are going 700MHz will have the option to go Phase II P-25. It uses a different digital format, TDMA. As I type this, there are several systems that employ X-2 TDMA, which supposedly, only one scanner currently in production decodes- the GRE PSR-800. I realize that this is posted in the Uniden forum, but, since the OP asked about 700/800MHz, this point needs to be made.
Larry

That may be true for now, but I suspect Uniden will eventually put their 2 cents into the pot with a scanner capable of X-2 TDMA.

Manny

Status
Not open for further replies.