How bcd396xt scans...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SquierStrat

i suppose this will apply to all DMA scanners, not just the 1 i own. But i have a few questions about systems and hold times.
The scanner will scan 100 conventional frequencies per second. so lets say i have

system 1, with 300 frequencies, and
system 2, with 300 frequencies.

if i have the hold time set to 1 on both systems, will it scan 100 of the frequencies in the first system then move on to the the next system, then continue on with the 2nd 100 frequencies when it comes back around to system 1, or will it scan all 300 frequencies before moving on to system 2?

captclint

Mentor
AFAIK, it will scan all 300 in each system before moving on. In general, set the hold times to 0, because it will hang around each system for 1 sec more before moving on.
Also, it would speed up the scanning of each system if you could use software to sort them in ascending or descending order.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
If you set the time to less time than it would take to scan the entire conventional system, it will only scan a portion of the system. The next time it hits the system it will resume the scan from the next unscanned channel for the set duration then move on. Etc.

blackhawk

Premium Subscriber
Per the user manual it says "Note: The scanner will check all unlocked Channels at least 1 time before moving to the next system, independent of whether the hold time has been set or not."

W6KRU

I agree! Here is the relevant text from the Complete reference for the 396XT:
The scanner continuously scanning each system for the duration of the system’s system hold time setting.
However, the scanner surely scans all unlocked channels at least 1 time, even if this takes longer than the
set time.
The scanner will advance to the next system once the scanner scans all unlocked channels and the system
hold time has elapsed.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
You know, I was confusing search and scan in this regard. In search, it works as I described. I need to just stick to recreational pursuits on the weekend. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.