How can I find out where a cellular provider's closest tower is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoshuaHufford

Feed Provider
Good friend of mine was telling me how his cell reception at his home is awful, constantly drops calls. I told him I installed a cell booster in my work van and it has helped a lot, and that they make home versions as well. He decided he is going to buy one and asked for my help installing it.

The model we are considering comes with a Yagi antenna so obviously we will have to aim it at a tower, other than trial and error is there a way I can find out where the nearest cell tower is to his home? He uses US Cellular. I guess I could try calling them up and asking but I would be surprised if their customer service reps even know where their towers are and if they would even tell me if they did.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I tried CellMapper. I don't know how accurate it is because I have Verizon and use a 2G CDMA phone yet it shows no towers near me for that service, so I think they are hiding the fact they still support 2G. They have been threatening to turn me off for 3 years but they have those IoT 2G gadgets everywhere to support.

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
He decided he is going to buy one and asked for my help installing it.
Just be careful what you buy. I've seen a number of FCC enforcement bureau actions go out for "Cell boosters" that were causing interference (as the FCC calls it, "intentional harm") to the cell provider's signals. The cell companies tend to patrol their spectrum pretty hard, so just a word of warning.

davidgcet

Premium Subscriber
Just be careful what you buy. I've seen a number of FCC enforcement bureau actions go out for "Cell boosters" that were causing interference (as the FCC calls it, "intentional harm") to the cell provider's signals. The cell companies tend to patrol their spectrum pretty hard, so just a word of warning.

I agree fully and can say I've personally witnessed it. I work for a cell carrier now and the ebay el cheapos are pure trouble for us. Believe me when I say we do find them quickly and it is in your best interest to shut it down immediately when our RF Performance tech knocks on your door. People don't like the next visit which is by a somber person in a white SUV.

JoshuaHufford

Feed Provider
I told my friend to check with his provider, US Cellular to see if they have any problems with him using that particular brand/model.

I have the same brand. Sure Call, in my work van, and I use AT&T. I have a friend that works for AT&T and they actually recommend the exact model that I have for their customers so they don't seem to have a problem with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.