How can I pick up the walkie talkies at my school?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I use the radio at school for Amateur band usage, and they don't seem to care about that, most of the authority is just curious and think its pretty cool. I go to an art school, theres always somebody with something unusual.

If they truly don't care then explain to one of the administrators what you are trying to accomplish and see if they can put you in contact with the department in charge of communications.

If you are trying to listen on-campus I would definitely try to get an administrator on your side, it may save some heartache later on.

Thayne

If they truly don't care then explain to one of the administrators what you are trying to accomplish and see if they can put you in contact with the department in charge of communications.

If you are trying to listen on-campus I would definitely try to get an administrator on your side, it may save some heartache later on.

Best thing to do there is let sleeping dogs lie; Some of them will care some of them won't care--but it will lead to conflict for sure. Even if you listen, keep it under your hat; if you transmit and anyone figures it out some of those idiots will get you in deep doo doo.

Having said this I realize it is even more tempting that a WET PAINT sign :p

Thayne

I use the radio at school for Amateur band usage, and they don't seem to care about that, most of the authority is just curious and think its pretty cool. I go to an art school, theres always somebody with something unusual.

Your last sentence is true as far as it goes; but I would change it to say --There is LOTS of unusual somebodys' with LOTS of unusual things--and that is why it is called Denver School of The Arts!

That is a good thing

SCPD

QRT
When you finally figure out the frequencies and such for your school, you should set up an online stream so everyone can listen!

Last edited:

skyler440

Ok, I just got a USB software defined radio and the school year started. I will check around 450-470 megahertz first. Is there a chance that it is in the 800 megahertz range? And what is that chance, they are standard-looking commercial walkie talkies.

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
Ok, I just got a USB software defined radio and the school year started. I will check around 450-470 megahertz first. Is there a chance that it is in the 800 megahertz range? And what is that chance, they are standard-looking commercial walkie talkies.

Depends on the types of radios you are seeing. Most of the 800 MHz range for Denver is exclusively used on the Denver EDACS which I believe Denver Pubic Schools Security operates on. If you see something like a Motorola branded radio, then it's probably likely on the 400 MHz band.

As for DPS (non-security) operations, they have licenses for several repeaters in the Denver area and a lot of simplex frequencies. The link that nd5y provided earlier in this topic is a pretty good starting point to finding some of the frequencies they are likely on. You can sort the list by frequency to get an idea of the exact frequencies they might be using as using a SDR will likely find all sorts of frequencies that might be used by other entities in the area.

Something you might want to consider is to take your question over to the Colorado Radio Discussion Forum as the people who tend to read the topics there are mostly local and more likely to have had personal experience with monitoring DPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.