• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

How can I tell if a Motorola radio is VHF or UHF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoshuaHufford

Feed Provider
I'm in need of 2 Motorola VHF receivers, I'm looking at either a 20 Channel M1225 Radius or a CDM1550LS , possibly one of each. I've been watching ebay, sometimes the seller does not know if the unit is VHF or UHF, and sometimes these go for a really good price. Is there a way to know?

Thanks.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
CDM's are pretty good radios. I've picked them up for as low as $50.00.

You want the 6th character in the model number to be a "K".

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
CDM's are pretty good radios. I've picked them up for as low as $50.00.

You want the 6th character in the model number to be a "K".

I think the only issue I’ve really seen with them is EEPROMs starting to go bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Golay

Premium Subscriber
Might not be a bad idea to pass on the radios that the buyer don't know if it's VHF or UHF.
Me personally, if the buyer is unclear, I stay clear.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
Get the model number and google it... Many times people buy them as a lot at auction and dont know or care because all they see is Motorola and list it. When you have the model number that will tell you everything. I have bought plenty from buyers who didnt know what they had and made out very well

DJ11DLN

Get the model number and google it... Many times people buy them as a lot at auction and dont know or care because all they see is Motorola and list it. When you have the model number that will tell you everything. I have bought plenty from buyers who didnt know what they had and made out very well
+1. When you know what the seller has but he doesn't, it's almost always a recipe for a deal in your favor.

ElroyJetson

Getting tired of all the stupidity.
Somewhere between the Scylla and Charybdis
The easy way is to look for a K in the model number. If there's a K, it's VHF. I know of no exceptions to this rule for all Motorola branded professional two way radios.

K for VHF.
R for UHF low split
S for UHF high split
U for 700/800

WRCM

There is no R nor S in the model number of my uhf M1225. The first two numbers in the model number refer to the band and power output. The link I posted above breaks it down thoroughly.

cmdrwill

Maxtrac, GM, Radius, Mxxxx, series radios would have a 3, D43xxxx would be VHF.

Note that the letters Elroy's post reffered to are for the Professional Series radios model numbers.

WRCM

OP asked specifically about two radios, the first of which was a Radius M1225. M43 would be VHF. M44, which I have, is UHF.

K2NEC

Might not be a bad idea to pass on the radios that the buyer don't know if it's VHF or UHF.
Me personally, if the buyer is unclear, I stay clear.
I can't say I agree. Some of my best buys have been from sellers that buy the wrong band and sell the radio for cheap. As long as the model number is somewhere in the pictures then I would go off that. If the seller doesn't know much about the radio chances are they will put it at a low price because they don't know much about it and it is up to the seller to figure out the info.

The easy way is to look for a K in the model number. If there's a K, it's VHF. I know of no exceptions to this rule for all Motorola branded professional two way radios.

K for VHF.
R for UHF low split
S for UHF high split
U for 700/800
There is also C for 32-50 and W for 900 but these are rare and you likely won't come across these.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
OP asked specifically about two radios, the first of which was a Radius M1225. M43 would be VHF. M44, which I have, is UHF.

Actually Mx3 is VHF. M1225s came in M33 and M43 arrangements (10W/25W and 25W/45W respectively).

The R1225 came in a M03 and M04 arrangement (LPI).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.