How can I tell which frequencies are simulcast?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mobilman44

In reviewing the frequency database for Texas, I'm looking for an indicator that a frequency is a simulcast broadcast. The answer is probably obvious, but more obviously, I can't find it..........

Thank you!

fredva

Feed Provider
While that's a good indicator, I've found that not all simulcast sites are labeled with the word "Simulcast" in the database. If you click on a site name, and then click on the FCC license link, you normally can tell because a simulcast site will have two or more towers that share the same set of frequencies. If there is only one tower per site, then you don't have simulcast.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
I would *think* the RR database is pretty accurate in terms of designating a site as simulcast. Not perfect by any means, but pretty accurate. In any event, simulcast is almost exclusively deployed in relatively large metro areas and/or jurisdictions with some big $$ to spend. If you're in an extremely rural area, it's less likely to have simulcast (not impossible, but less likely). As was mentioned above, always check for physical tower locations in the FCC database. If you see the same frequencies licensed to numerous physical sites in the same county or adjacent county, it may well be simulcast.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
... If you click on a site name, and then click on the FCC license link, you normally can tell because a simulcast site will have two or more towers that share the same set of frequencies. If there is only one tower per site, then you don't have simulcast.

That is a great, easy to understand explanation, thank you!

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Or if "simulcast" isn't named specifically in the site name (as can sometimes be the case), click the site name link, look for the site FCC license link(s) and take a look at the frequencies by location. You'll notice an identical set of frequencies per location. (For example, Site 1 and Site 2 will both begin with 771.71875, so on and so forth)

Mobilman44

Thank you all!

I went over the area list and did see (barely) the fine print "simulcast". But as indicated, clicking on the FCC license is a sure indicator.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thank you all!

I went over the area list and did see (barely) the fine print "simulcast". But as indicated, clicking on the FCC license is a sure indicator.
Not always.
Take a look at this license. This is for an electric utility co-op that I was looking at in a conversation with a member who wanted to monitor the system.

At first glance, the site map would lead you to believe it's simulcast:
1631125126253.png

But, if you look at the site details actually in the license, you'll see that each site has a different set of frequencies.

Now, look at this site, from a different system:
If you click on the license, you get this map:

1631125483992.png
This site uses frequencies from a blanket license issued to the state, so there is no license for this specific set of frequencies to indicate their site location(s).

Sometimes, these sites may be licensed as 'Simulcast' in the database, but without definitive license detail to verify, there is no way to verify if the site is, or is not, simulcast, and if simulcast, where the actual transmit towers are located.

Now, look at this site from your Houston Metro area:
1631125897882.png
Click on the small icon (highlighted) near the lower left corner of the coverage map:

1631125964825.png
That indicates the actual transmit tower locations associated with the license.

Status
Not open for further replies.