• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng How can we connect/listen to a frequency with only 5 numbers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jinzo

I recently bought my first scanner, the Baofeng UV-5R. Been trying to find my local PD, and finally found some of what they use. However, their frequency is only 5 numbers, whereas on my screen I still need one more number.

Am I thinking about this wrong, are 6 numbers not needed? If 6 numbers are needed, how can I listen to this frequency?

gh6406

Premium Subscriber
The UV-5R is by no means a "scanner". That said, if the frequency you need to monitor is 155.34, then it would be 155.340. If there are only two numbers to the left of the decimal point, 45.875 then that is VHF Lo band and the baofeng will not pick that up.

Jinzo

The UV-5R is by no means a "scanner". That said, if the frequency you need to monitor is 155.34, then it would be 155.340. If there are only two numbers to the left of the decimal point, 45.875 then that is VHF Lo band and the baofeng will not pick that up.

The webpage I'm looking at, the frequency doesn't even have a decimal.

Example: 00-000

I assume the - is a replacement for the decimal?

Additionally, I've noticed that if a frequency ends in 0, upon pressing 0, it cancels my entire entry. I'm not sure why or how to bypass that.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
Did you use the RR database? Are you using Chirp to program the radio. Baofengs are not scanners. They scan too slowly. They don't cover all bands and they do not receive any digital mode like P25. They can't receive aircraft frequencies. Plus they lack banks, channel lockouts and other features of true scanners. Sorry you may be disappointed.

Some channels could be programmed with 4 digits. A local PD frequency here is 460.1MHz. On the other hand you might need 7 digits like 408.9875MHz. Rarely you might only need 3 digits for low band, but the Baofeng doesn't cover that band anyway.

nd5y

What do you mean by "5 numbers"?
How many digits before and after the decimal point?
Trailing zeros after the decimal point are irrelevant but you might need to enter extra zeros for the radio to accept the frequency.

In order to enter frequencies from the keypad:
1. The frequency must be in the range the radio can receive (136-174 MHz or 400-512 MHz)
2. The radio must be in Frequency Mode (VFO Mode).
3. The radio must be set to the proper channel step size (MENU 1 STEP) to match the frequency you are trying to enter.
See: Baofeng UV-5R - The RadioReference Wiki

Jinzo

Did you use the RR database? Are you using Chirp to program the radio. Baofengs are not scanners. They scan too slowly. They don't cover all bands and they do not receive any digital mode like P25. They can't receive aircraft frequencies. Plus they lack banks, channel lockouts and other features of true scanners. Sorry you may be disappointed.

Some channels could be programmed with 4 digits. A local PD frequency here is 460.1MHz. On the other hand you might need 7 digits like 408.9875MHz. Rarely you might only need 3 digits for low band, but the Baofeng doesn't cover that band anyway.

Obviously, I bought the wrong thing. All I'm interested in are scanners. Is the P25 recommended, or is there another one? or can y'all recommend a good one.

looks like a talkgroup number...

It is, webpage says frequency/talk group. I assume that's not usable.

Last edited:

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
The webpage I'm looking at, the frequency doesn't even have a decimal.

It would be best if you could post a link directly to that webpage you are looking at so we can see exactly what you're seeing.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
RACOM Network, EDACS Networked Standard is used by Police, Fire and Public Works in Moline Illinois. Your UV-5R radio will not pick that up, The 5 digit number in Quad Cities is the Talkgroup on the EDACS system.

Obviously, I bought the wrong thing. All I'm interested in are scanners. Is the P25 recommended, or is there another one?
P25 is not a model.

Here is a listing of real scanners.

For a handheld I'd recommend a 325P2. For a base unit, a 996P2.

Both a real scanners.

If your area suffers from Simulcast, then you'll need an SDS model.

Good luck!

Jinzo

P25 is not a model.

Here is a listing of real scanners.

For a handheld I'd recommend a 325P2. For a base unit, a 996P2.

Both a real scanners.

If your area suffers from Simulcast, then you'll need an SDS model.

Good luck!

Thanks, any slightly cheaper handheld ones? I'd be willing to spend 100-200, but $400 is a bit up there.

Would this one be good? https://www.amazon.com/Uniden-BC125...K368CE9707R&psc=1&refRID=VEMRQV0ASK368CE9707R

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Obviously, I bought the wrong thing. All I'm interested in are scanners. Is the P25 recommended, or is there another one? or can y'all recommend a good one.
Here's some expanded reading and explanations on some of the terms mentioned:

Would this one be good?
No digital and no trunking. From the Wiki:

" This is a fantastic scanner for its class, similar in design and function to the BC72XLT, BC92XLT and BC95XLT series of scanners, with a vastly improved set of features and narrow-band support. This is your best buy for a non-digital, non-trunking scanner; Made in 2012. "

Reactions: wtp

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
RACOM Network, EDACS Networked Standard is used by Police, Fire and Public Works in Moline Illinois. Your UV-5R radio will not pick that up, The 5 digit number in Quad Cities is the Talkgroup on the EDACS system.

From the above information it appears that the Moline PD and Fire/EMS are on an EDACS analog trunking system.

1602288396380.png

If this is the case and cost is an issue, the Uniden BCT15X base scanner should be able to pick up that system. These sell new for about $150 and can be easily programmed using FreeScan software, the included serial cable and a subscription to RadioReference. Unfortunately Uniden no longer makes an inexpensive analog trunking handheld scanner. In the used scanner market a Uniden BC346XT, BC246T, BCD396XT or BCD396T hand held models will also work. The last two will will also pickup up P25 Phase 1 digital systems.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Since the OP is looking for an EDACS scanner, which is something an out-of-the-box Baofeng UV-5R can't decode, and since the OP has been referred to real scanners that might serve his needs, this thread is locked.

If the OP has other questions about scanners or receiving the Moline PD, I suggest he post them in the General Scanning forum or the Iowa forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.