How come nobody makes a real "Base" type scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldglide

Oh I know there are those cheezzy home units from GRE an Uniden but why not a really nice base scanner with all the bells and whistles. The last real base scanner was Uniden's BC898T. All the base scanners now are made for mobile and base apps and some are nothing more than hand-helds in a different case. BTW, I don't mean $1200 and up receivers.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Market for a combined base/mobile is MUCH larger and MUCH cheaper to produce for than a market for base and a market for mobile.

N4DXX

Premium Subscriber
I think there would be good demand for a big base digital scanner with a real analog meter..nothing is as accurate nor as nice to look at, and a built in digital recorder to record the action,A huge front mounted speaker.Big buttons...yea i'd go 4 that...Why not start here..build your ideal scanner in words..Are ya listning upman?

Last edited:

owl9704a

Premium Subscriber
Real base scanner

Ya know that is one thing that has always bothered me. I am partially blind and i use 898's because i can see the stuff on them. But the new didital ones are so tiny a normal person needs a magnifying glass to see them. Why can't someone make a decent sized one for people that only use base scanners?

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
The market for a true "base" scanner dissappeared in the late 1980's. Since them, the market has shown indeed that today's scannist looks for an simple package with as much multifunctionality as possible. Portability is a huge thing now in all electronics as much as possible. With scanners, it became much simpler to produce just two versions of a product than three.. Almost every base/mobile unit has a little sister if you will handheld. They are both almost identical in functionality, but the b/m has more powerful speaker etc...

To creat a third version of the exact same scanner is not cost effective, and the market has not shown an interest in the idea. Now in the CB, HAM, and commercial telecommunications markets you still find all three. Though in most cases the base radio has evolved into a console based unit for commercial/public safety use.

N4DXX

Premium Subscriber
The market for a true "base" scanner dissappeared in the late 1980's. Since them, the market has shown indeed that today's scannist looks for an simple package with as much multifunctionality as possible. Portability is a huge thing now in all electronics as much as possible. With scanners, it became much simpler to produce just two versions of a product than three.. Almost every base/mobile unit has a little sister if you will handheld. They are both almost identical in functionality, but the b/m has more powerful speaker etc...

To creat a third version of the exact same scanner is not cost effective, and the market has not shown an interest in the idea. Now in the CB, HAM, and commercial telecommunications markets you still find all three. Though in most cases the base radio has evolved into a console based unit for commercial/public safety use.

Yea i understand but i can keep wishing..lol

57Bill

If I want mobile portability, I bring the handheld into the car. Can connect to outside antenna if I want to.
I'd like to see two - not three - versions of a scanner: handheld and (real) base.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Base models

The reason I have purchased hand-held models, and not base models, is because the base models are just hand-helds in a different case. And I can't do as much with them. Example: PSR-400 - can you run it from batteries in the scanner?

If someone wants to market a real base scanner, one which takes advantage of being in a larger case and uses a LARGER display; then I'd consider it. I don't see a benefit, and only detrements, with current models offered.

greenthumb

Colorado DB Administrator
Database Admin
If a larger display and higher quality speaker are what you're looking for, why not just purchase one of the mobile scanners on the market today, control it with PC software, and buy a nice external speaker for it?

owl9704a

Premium Subscriber
I have already done that, i have 4 898t's and software and all of the cables and them connected tom a seperate PC. But it just isn't the same. No matter how good the software is, you still have to use those little buttons and the feel is gone. It would seem someone would be able to modify one somewhere to fit in a better case out there. I know there are a lot of electronics people out there. But it is just a pipe dream. Some of us just don't care for tiny. And fancy doesn't always get it. Where i live i ave an old 350 that is busy all of the time.

brandon

Database Admin
I like what GRE did with the Pro-2053 (base version of Pro-93). It's bigger than most of the newer "base" models and has a larger display too.
We definitely need a large base unit w/ digital capability.

kayi4cle

Premium Subscriber
I too would like a larger display with bigger font in base (and handhelds). I am also waiting for a sleep-timer feature!

greenthumb

Colorado DB Administrator
Database Admin
But it just isn't the same. No matter how good the software is, you still have to use those little buttons and the feel is gone.

Gotcha. Old school feel with new technology...we can all hope :)

BamaScan

Premium Subscriber

jobes

Feed Provider
Well in my case they keep getting bigger. The new model sits on top of the stack of older models:)

smason

I Love my PSR600 it's "base" enough to use at home, yet I can take it in the car, even use it portable with a battery, best of all worlds.
My Pro 2006 and 2004 while having a 12v input, have captive ac cables, which is a pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.