• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

How do 2 people talk (same time) on a trunked system??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Desert-Rat

I apologize if this question has been asked before. . .

On Car 54, Where Are You?, an old TV program, they used to say "Car 19, go to Channel 2". But on trunked frequencies, there is no "channel two". Channel 2 could be any of a number of frequencies. Does this mean that there has to be non-trunked frequencies so, for instance, two police officers could talk privately in addition to the transmissions going on on the trunked frequencies??

Thanks in advance, for replies. I've learned a lot using this web site!

Dave Benner

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
Usually there is just a "Secondary Talkgroup" to accomplish this. Units on the main talkgroup would just drop down to the secondary talkgroup when needed.

Other places (like my area), DO use conventional frequencies as secondaries to the main trunking talkgroup. There is no "better" way to do it, it's just how the agency wants to do it. ;)

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
To add to Colin's note, Trunked systems use a control freq (CC) to match an available voice freq (VC) with a tactical (Tac) or talk around talkgroup (TG). Many agencies (PD, Fire, EMS, Garbage, PW, and Schools) can share these few frequencies by using several talkgroups for each agency.

The CC matches the TG on push to talk (PTT).

richster

Also users of a given TRS will talk privately with each other as "individuals".

Example would be lets say two users of that TRS had something pesonal to convey to each other and didn't want any body else to hear. Obviously they wouldn't go to the secondary talkgroup because as a "group" anyone else privy to that TG can hear.

The two radio users can contact each other one-on-one away from any TG and prying ears. When an "individual" user of the TRS hits the PTT, their message doesn't transmit on a given TG, but rather directly to the individual Radio-ID (AKA other person) specified by the one who is sending the message.

Back in '99 when I bought my first trunktracker that was able to follow EDACS systems, I was perplexed to find traffic on the TRS that I couldn't hear when in trunking mode, but I could hear them when scanning the system conventionally. That's because the users were not talking on a "talkgroup" but rather privately as "individuals".

That was my 245XLT, but todays Uniden scanners are able to track "individual" users as well.

I'm willing to bet if you hear private conversations when scanning the system conventionally, most likely they are talking in "individual mode".

Regards,
Richster.

n4voxgill

Silent Key
most police departments on trunked systems have one or more car-to-car talkgroups that are used for this purpose. Fire departments frequently have TAC talk groups for communications between radios at a fire scene. All of these are done within the trunked radio system.

richster

Hi Dave,

I looked through you're other posts and found that you are running a BCT8. I looked through the manual on that radio and it appears the BCT8 cannot track "individual" users of a TRS (trunked radio system). :(

It will do LTR systems though.

Regards,
Richster.

Desert-Rat

One Main Talk Group?

KCChiefs9690 said:
Usually there is just a "Secondary Talkgroup" to accomplish this. Units on the main talkgroup would just drop down to the secondary talkgroup when needed.

Other places (like my area), DO use conventional frequencies as secondaries to the main trunking talkgroup. There is no "better" way to do it, it's just how the agency wants to do it. ;)

- - - - Colin, could the "main talk group" be only one talk group, leaving three others for the "secondary one"?? I have found four talk groups.

Thanks for the quick response!

Dave Benner

kikito

Premium Subscriber
Desert-Rat said:
On Car 54, Where Are You?, an old TV program, they used to say "Car 19, go to Channel 2". But on trunked frequencies, there is no "channel two". Channel 2 could be any of a number of frequencies. Does this mean that there has to be non-trunked frequencies so, for instance, two police officers could talk privately in addition to the transmissions going on on the trunked frequencies??
To put it simply and not going into detailed and complicated explanations, they can do exactly the same nowadays with trunked systems.

When they say "Go to Channel 2", they'll be most likely going to a different talkgroup. No need to worry about the particular frequencies, just let the trunked system take care of that. Channels are just that, channels. Regardless of them being a particular frequency or a particular talkgroup.

The same applies to "I-Calls" or "Private Calls".

Last edited:

car2back

richster said:
...I looked through you're other posts and found that you are running a BCT8. I looked through the manual on that radio and it appears the BCT8 cannot track "individual" users of a TRS (trunked radio system)...

What scanner on the market can track individual radios on a TRS? :confused:

richster

wayne_h said:
Folks we have a sticky at the top of this forum.

:sigh: ;)

-Wayne

Hi Wayne,

I found that the Wiki has next to no information on I-calls. I even did a seach on "I-call" and nothing comes up unfortunatley, including which radios are capable of tracking them.

Phil, there is a great web page where you can evalute and compare all sorts of scanners, including finding out which ones are capable of tracking I-calls.

http://myweb.cableone.net/marksscanners/Comparison/comparison.html

Regards,
Richster.

Status
Not open for further replies.