How do I connect my WS1098/TRX to Windows 7 PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I have never had an issue getting a serial connection to my Macbook Pro running Windows 7 in VW, but I could not get TRX1 to throw anything other than an unrecognized device fail, and I am now having the same issue with my new WS1098. I ensured that the scanner was never ever connected to the PC prior to installing and running the EZ Scan software which installs drivers, tried uninstalling the driver, reinstalling the EZ Scan, nothing works. I downloaded the inf UBS driver from Whistler, but I have no clue how to "install" said driver. I thought it involved selecting the "unknwon USB device" in device manger, choosing update driver, and pointing to the folder withe the inf, but when I tried that several times, it keeps telling me the best driver (unrecognized/fail/exclamation point) is already installed.

Any help greatly appreciated...again, no problems ever doing multiple Macbook Pro installs with these software suites. :(

Paul

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Related newbie question, how do I get AUDIO to come out of the rear speaker jack? I plugged in a stereo 3.5mm jack, and the audio mutes, and stays muted for a little while from the internal speaker after unplugging. headphone output works, but very low volume level output.

Paul

visegrip72

In device manager, right click on the new unknown device and choose update driver. From there, choose to "browse my computer", then choose "Let me pick from the list". Next choose ports as the type. Then pick Whistler on the left and the Whistler serial port thing on the right.

That's how I had to do it for the ports that would not like the scanner. It is odd how some ports picked it up right away and it worked fine, others not so much.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
When I installed EZ Scan, it asked me if I wanted to include the driver, which I did. No separate package was involved. My guess is that it is similar to the problem when Wine is used in Linux for CPS software. The drivers rarely install proper when you are using an environment that involves non-Windows protocols. Since the new EZ Scan driver works well in Windows 10, it is likely the necessary changes from previous drivers are the cause.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
In device manager, right click on the new unknown device and choose update driver. From there, choose to "browse my computer", then choose "Let me pick from the list". Next choose ports as the type. Then pick Whistler on the left and the Whistler serial port thing on the right.

That's how I had to do it for the ports that would not like the scanner. It is odd how some ports picked it up right away and it worked fine, others not so much.

I don't have a selection for "ports", the Unknown Device shows up under USB Controllers. When I click through to let me choose, and uncheck sho compatible, i get a list of manufacturers and models, none of which are Whistler.

Jaspence, are you saying that the drivers for USB that Whister is putting out now, are Windows 10 compatible only? As I stated, I can install and see the scanner just fine in Windows 7 on my Macbook using Parallels. I had this exact same problem with my TRX1, only i did not need to run it as a remote server, which I do for the WS1098. I gave up finding no solution to the Whistler issue for TRX months ago.

Paul

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
OK, plugged the UBS into another port, and Unknown AND a new COM PORT 3 showed up...and that caused my WS1098 to die, throwing a call Whistler error code 4.00. Scanner would not power off, had to unjack power, would not power on either. Rewrote to the card, updated COM PORT driver now that it actually showed up under ports, and am now able to power up and connect to the scanner.

Paul

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Forgot to mention, my Windows 7 PC BLUE SCREENED halfway into the Whistler .inf install, after saying yes to installing unsigned driver...guess that is why it is not signed!

Paul

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
After reboot, everything seems fine, the driver was actually installed, it just crashed my PC afterwards...go figure.

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.