How do I display CC level on BC535HP ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC2OVX

I am trying to point my Yagi antenna and even with 4 bars I don't get decode, but it shows 4 bars with lots of positions of the antenna.

There was a way on the 996P2 to display the signal quality level.

I can't find how to get that to show up on the 536

Does anyone know what buttons to press to display the level / quality of the control channel ?

Thank you

Bill

RFI-EMI-GUY

All 7 of my 536's show the signal bars.
#1 Menu
#2 Analyze
#3 System Status
#4 Chose the SYSTEM Name
#5 Chose the Site
#6 S=Signal Q=Quality A=Activity
Thats actually quite useful. I am monitoring with only the telescoping whip and was able to optimize the length and position with that feature.

KC2OVX

Thank you. I never thought of looking in the menu, nice job Uniden putting it in the menu with s,q,a just like a satellite meter .

Would you know when it's in scan mode of a simulcast system that's a phase two digital p25 system why it goes from full bars to no bars back to full bars every second or so ?

I thought maybe it was scanning all the frequencies instead of just the one control channel because there are alternate control channels that might be in useand is there a way to make it stop doing that so it just stays locked on the one control channel ?
it doesn't do this when I pause on one specific talk group it stays full bars.

Thanks again

Bill

KC2OVX

Why doesn't it drop out when you're paused on just one talk group ?
And I noticed when I'm listening to the analog frequency that repeats the fire and EMS paging the analog frequency actually transmits one to two seconds before the scanner begins the same exact transmission.
I don't believe they are transmitting on the analog frequency and then repeating it on the digital system.

I think the scanner is actually taking time to decode the signal.

Am I correct that this is why there is a delay ?

Once I align the antenna for the best signal quality the transmission sounds clear, clearer than any previous scanner.

I also picked up what sounds like a garbled transmission on an encrypted frequency but there's no ENC indicator on the display and no DAT on the display.

I'm not sure why some of the talk groups come in very clear and others seem to not be getting as good a signal.

On previous scanners encrypted talk groups had ENC on the display and no sound was Heard

Does this scanner actually send out the audio even though it's encrypted and does it not have an icon to indicate that that talk group is transmitting encrypted ?

Thanks for the help. I would be lost without you.

Bill

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
If you want to believe it or not this is why all scanners except the SDS series fail they were not designed with the hardware to receive simulcast and decode it. The receiver has no way to work with multiple signals on the same frequency and add to that some are even out of phase.
If you are trying to receive a SIMULCAST SYSTEM you can read all about the PAPERCLIP ANTENNAS, BEAM ANTENNAS, NO ANTENNA, COFFEE CAN ANTENNA, or you can buy a SDS SCANNER people here have been fighting SIMULCAST with regular scanners for 5 plus years.

Once I align the antenna for the best signal quality the transmission sounds clear, clearer than any previous scanner?
It will work until the weather changes trees grow somebody builds between you and the sites or a site looses some power antenna changes anything can and will change your settings then you will start over adjusting your setup.

And I noticed when I'm listening to the analog frequency that repeats the fire and EMS paging the analog frequency actually transmits one to two seconds before the scanner begins the same exact transmission?
You can have 2 or more Motorola Radios on a scene running P25 they will all not have the audio at the same time in other words a delay.
Analog is instant a digital radio has to CONVERT AUDIO to digital code before it transmits then the DIGITAL radio has to decode the digital signal then it has to play the audio over the speaker. I have 20 Uniden Digital Scanners sharing the same Antenna I can lock 2 or more on the same system and have a ECHO caused by delay.

Last edited:

KC2OVX

Where I am there are 2 mountains blocking the other two sites which are about 5 mi and 6 mi from my location.
Site 001 is the only site I can receive from this location and it is about a mile away and I can only receive it with the yagi antenna.
I have thought about getting the SDS 100 or SDS 200
I may still invest in one of those but the fact that the 536 actually receives this signal when none of the other scanners did is promising.
I need to find out if the police talk groups are actually encrypted in which case I don't think there's a need for monitoring the county's talk groups because they have a VHF repeater and a VHF paging frequency that come in very clear.
The only other thing that I might want to monitor that is not on VHF analog would be the ambulances to the hospitals which is a new talk group that was added this year for the local hospital that was just built.
It's just a lot of money to spend 600 or 700 dollars to monitor just that.

The state police are on pro-voice and the other Town departments are on DMR
I keep hoping that the TRX-1 will have an upgrade soon that will be able to receive pro-voice.

But I will give some more thought to the SDS series.

I heard they're actually coming out with a phase three or phase four and A DMR slot for to allow four conversations on a single frequency at the same time

Not sure if that's just a rumor or if that's actually true

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
And I noticed when I'm listening to the analog frequency that repeats the fire and EMS paging the analog frequency actually transmits one to two seconds before the scanner begins the same exact transmission.
I don't believe they are transmitting on the analog frequency and then repeating it on the digital system.

I think the scanner is actually taking time to decode the signal.

Am I correct that this is why there is a delay ?
Digital has an inherent delay, as the audio data is converted to packets which have to be received in their entirety before each packet's audio can be decoded. That adds a half-second or more of delay. Going through a digital repeater adds another encode/decode cycle with additional delay.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The state police are on pro-voice and the other Town departments are on DMR
I keep hoping that the TRX-1 will have an upgrade soon that will be able to receive pro-voice.
That isn't going to happen. ProVoice is obsolete, not being manufactured anymore, and all current systems are being phased out because replacement parts and equipment are no longer being made. Plus, Whistler isn't doing anything but making more of their existing models. They canceled their TRX-100/200 project (or more likely, the announcement was BS to stop the defection to Uniden when the SDS models were announced), and haven't given any hint that they're doing any sort of new product development since.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
I keep hoping that the TRX-1 will have an upgrade soon that will be able to receive pro-voice?
The TRX Scanners are about as far as they can go.
Whistler tried to design a Scanner like the SDS and FAILED and stopped R&D on the project.
Seeing you have only been here a week you can search here back say 5 years and learn WHISTLER bought a company called GRE all scanners WHISTLER sells were designed by GRE WHISTLER has not had a NEW SCANNER THEY DESIGNED for sale the only thing they have offered for sale is ANTENNAS that look like other ANTENNAS sold under a different name and SPEAKERS. The PR person for WHISTLER SCANNERS that loved scanners and ELECTRONICS left the Company for a different job and has been replaced but he is not very active but he will post every once in a while

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
add to that some are even out of phase.

Actually, that is the defining characteristic of simulcast distortion. Even legacy scanners can receive in-phase simulcast fine. It is the phase difference that causes the issue.

RFI-EMI-GUY

SNIP

I heard they're actually coming out with a phase three or phase four and A DMR slot for to allow four conversations on a single frequency at the same time

Not sure if that's just a rumor or if that's actually true

Not sure about the rumors. Improvements are needed.

P25 phase 1 was never effectively spectrally efficient due to the enormous lag time in message throughput consuming the "Erlang's". Phase 2 is a necessary but weak improvement in that respect. Europe has been far ahead with Tetra which is an equally old technology but has 4 slots TDMA in 25 KHz channel. The US pretty much killed prospects of 4 slot TDMA with FCC//\/\oto mandated narrow-banding to 12.5 KHz channels. 2 slot ETSI DMR runs circles around P25.

P25 phase 2 is only available on trunked systems and not available for single channel conventional or intelli-repeater sites. If you buy into the advanced data applications for GPS , OTAP, OTAR, etc, you need even more channel resources. It may be a "standard" but it is a very expensive system and a resource hog.

Status
Not open for further replies.