How do I find out the encode/decode tones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

k9-cop

Are there scanners out there or other ways of scanning local frequencies and which display the encode/decode tones that are going to and from the repeaters? I hope this question makes sense.......

Mstrfxit12

k9-cop said:
Are there scanners out there or other ways of scanning local frequencies and which display the encode/decode tones that are going to and from the repeaters? I hope this question makes sense.......

If your talkin repeater access tones then I beleive you would need a DTMF decoder. If your talking ANI PTT ID or emergency, there are aftermarket ANI decoders out there that connect to an audio output from a 2 way or scanner. And I guess lastly if its just PL/DPL subaudible tones you want there are uniden and RS scanners out there that will do auto decode and display. Hope this helps... Chris

spadoinkle

If you are less inclined to buy a piece of hardware just for this there's always the software solution. This site has several different pieces of software you can try:
http://www.scanaustralia.bigpondhosting.com/software/software1.html
Anything that references PL or CTCSS tones should do what you are wanting. There are also DTMF decoders and many other signal types that can be decoded.

Basically you get a double ended male head-phone jack and connect the scanner to your pc soundcard. Some types of signals can't be decoded without a "discriminator tap" which gives you a better signal out of the scanner. However an audible tone like CTCSS shouldn't require this.

k9-cop

Yes just to clarify it is repeater access tones I am looking for. Thanks for the suggestions.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I think he's just looking for the ctcss tones used. Most newer model scanners will figure out the tone and display it for you.

There are also add on external boxes which do the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.