How do I get a system key?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhooten

That's right punish the officer on the street, who has little or no say in the decision made by management on the radio system, by withholding charitable contributions the service organzation that help officers in times of need. Yeah, that'll get you what you want.

Radio_Lady

Pomona radio issues & the PPOA

swest90 said:
On another note, the fancy encryption and trunking system has not yet led to any greater interoperability.
No question about it.

swest90 said:
As a homeowner resident whose family owns over 25 houses in Pomona, I will no longer be sending in my annual donation to the police officers association and I am going to suggest that none of the other businesses and interested scanner listeners do either.
I don't understand the nexus you seem to be making between the radio system design and the PPOA, which, if I'm not mistaken, is composed only of personnel who are Sergeants and below. Those people surely have little if any input into it.

I believe your mayor should be receptive to and very interested in hearing about any shortcomings in the police radio system, having been an LAPD dispatcher for a number of years. If the interop has become that degraded I'd be surprised if the officers themselves haven't already gotten in touch with her.

iepoker

I talked to a few motor officers the other day who praised the coverage, but were not happy with the delay in the PTT. In fact, every question I asked them about the system, they liked... excpet for the delay part.

They also knew that most of their channels were encypted... so the rank and file knows the scoop.

Radio_Lady

iepoker said:
I talked to a few motor officers the other day who praised the coverage, but were not happy with the delay in the PTT. In fact, every question I asked them about the system, they liked... excpet for the delay part.
That's to be expected, I would think, when people are moved from a simplex system with no "delay" to any repeater system with its inherent brief lag time. It happened when L.A.P.D. went from so-called semi-duplex on VHF to the UHF repeater system, and my sense when we later went from analog to digital was that the delay was again increased another fraction of a second. Just enough so when you ask a question you can't always tell whether the answer is "(affirm-)ative" or "(neg-)ative." <g> I wouldn't be surprised if the "instantaneous" switching involved in trunking adds yet a few more milliseconds.

The learning curve takes a while, and when they get all excited they'll rush the mic anyway.

Last edited:

kd7rto

inferior rx performance

glradio said:
#4: We issue hunderds of scanners to our local government users so they can monitor the PD, and they work just fine.

While scanners certainly work, I would challenge the assertion that "they work just fine". I note that glradio does not say that a scanner works "just as well" as a commercial radio.

My BC246T is a definite improvement over my Pro-92, yet I still find dead spots as I move it around my desk at work. In the car, I encounter enough problems with signal fading that I consider it necessary to use an external antenna.

If the receiver in a public safety official's radio performed as poorly, that radio would be turned in to the shop as defective.

The alternative? Unfortunately, this thread seems to demonstrate that there is none. We are simply stuck with the substandard multi-band receivers found in today's trunktracker scanners.

Last edited:

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
Grog said:
The MTX8000 will not be support rebanding anyway, so depending on how long it takes for your area, it will only last a couple years at the most.

Yeah they're in this vastly huge rush to reband right now...

Status
Not open for further replies.