how do i get my scanner to to get my local police

Status
Not open for further replies.

mb20fan

I am new to this I live in ypsilanti Mi. I have a unidenbct8.I have firured how to get to scan all citiys around here. Is it possiable to get it to go from my town and my county police dept,s.I am picking up stuff from all over the place.I do not know how to program this thing but I am willing to pay someone to help me do it. Thank you for any help any one can give my.Dean Thrush. P.S. I have never used one of these before

captclint

Mentor
I am new to this I live in ypsilanti Mi. I have a unidenbct8.. Is it possiable to get it to go from my town and my county police dept,s
The BCT8 has a function called beartracker, which has 100's of preprogrammed frequencies for all over the country. I suspect that is what you are using now. You can put in only those things which are local, and also your County. Here is a list for Washtenaw County.

At the top, under Washtenaw County Municipalities, are the Washtenaw County frequencies, and half way down, there are 4 local frequencies for Ypsilanti, City of. You can program those in any one of your User Programmable Memories in 5 banks. Just read your manual on how to program frequencies. Of course, there are lots of other frequencies listed under your county, so you can pick an chose what you want to hear. Be sure to turn off the beartracker and just use the scan button.

Last edited:

mb20fan

Thank You

there must be some stuff they do not call out over the scanner I am sitting in my living room and can hear all kinds of police sirens. But nothing over the scanner is this uniden bct 8 a good one or just a cheap one I only paid $200.00 for it

captclint

Mentor
there must be some stuff they do not call out over the scanner.
Yes, that is possible, but not likely with the local, or county. It is more likely with the Michigan Public Safety Communications (MPSCS), which is digital(you can't receive)
is this uniden bct 8 a good one or just a cheap one I only paid $200.00 for it
No, it is a good radio. Did you program the local and county frequencies yet? The beartracker often does not have every town and city. You need to do the programming. Often, the county dispatches local emergency services, and the local Ypsilanti are more for Tactical communications on scene. The other area of missed communications is due to location and antenna, in that order. If you are using the telescoping antenna in an aluminum sided house, then you may need to move upstairs near a window. Just moving around can have an effect even if you don't have Al siding.

Last edited:

mb20fan

I have not programed it yet as of this morning there has been a lot of stuff going on all around here that has been interesting.Right now on my screen it is just showing pol--lp and scan keeps scrolling across the screen.On the bottom it showes data with a diagonal line throu it.Since there has been nothing right here in Ypsilanti I would say you are correct that my city is programed in it.As I said I have never used owned one of these before how many channels can you put in one bank.The book is not the greatest also will it scan from one bank to another or do I need to do that myself.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Don't rush to program the conventional frequencies linked above - you need to program the Ann Arbor Washtenaw County trunked system in that list. The police are there.

mb20fan

I am reading this book it is telling me to put in a talk group id.What set of numbers from the link given to me above is the talk group #s

N8IAA

I am reading this book it is telling me to put in a talk group id.What set of numbers from the link given to me above is the talk group #s
If you go to the bottom of the AnnArbor/Washtenaw county trunk system, the 45XXX, 46XXX, and 48XXX numbers for the city PD and Township PD are the TGID's. That is what you enter in the scanlists to monitor your local PD. Ypsilanti Township FD is on the Michigan Public Safety digital P-25 system. The BCT-8 does not do digital.
HTH,
Larry

mb20fan

Thats what I was looking for they have all these headings on the list frequency input license type tone discription mode and tag I am a dummy at this and tring to figure it out man the book kind of sucks it could tell you this stuff. Let me try that and see if I can get it to work. Thank you for your help

N8IAA

OK no I found the list of them on the site are they always 5 digits just wondering.

Not always, my county FD dispatch TGID is 48, the Tac channels are three #'s, the PD and SO are four #'s. I have a feeling that when they migrate to their new P-25, it will be something different. I have them with single and double digit #'s.
Larry

mb20fan

Does anyone own one of these uniden bct8,s when ever I try to enter a Frequency it will not let me enter the last # of it my town is 155-37000 but it will not let me enter the last #

N8IAA

Does anyone own one of these uniden bct8,s when ever I try to enter a Frequency it will not let me enter the last # of it my town is 155-37000 but it will not let me enter the last #
Just looked at the manual(I have them downloaded into Adobe), and when you are scanning a bank, press hold/resume, pick the bank channel with the up/down arrows, then enter the frequency 155 (decimal key)37.Press E, frequency is then stored. You don't need to put in all the 0"s.
Larry

Last edited:

mb20fan

Is there any one in Mi that I can pay to help me set me up.If I bring them this thing I asked my next door guy that has one and is a ham operator but he only would tell me the 0,s after the decimel point are not used. He hates me I cut down a 2/3rds dead apple tree what a ass-hole he even told he helps fix the local police dept,s raido towers and stuff.Thank you anyone that can help

Status
Not open for further replies.