How do I ground an antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

mareswj

I have BC396t handheld. I've installed it in my 94 GMC and use a Hustler Multi Band Antenna(mounted to fender). I sporadically get frequency lockup on the 154-156mhz and 450-460mhz bands with some kind of noise Only when engine is running)((if I turn cruise cntrl on/off noise makes clicking sound)). The noise goes away when the Antenna is diconnected. No changes when I remove power.
I believe it is some kind of noise comming from the engine compartment. HOW do I fix this??? maybe grounding the antenna better??? will encasing the coax in braided shield and grounding work???

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
If you have the antenna mounted on the front fender, then it may be too close to the engine, and that's why you're getting noise. Try mounting the antenna on another part of the vehicle, as far away from the engine as you can. It may not be the easiest, but it may be the only way to eliminate or reduce noise pickup.

RayK

Also check the ground straps to the hood,this is often overlooked.Also check where you
mounted the antenna on the fender make sure you have clean metal on the underside of
the fender,lots of time the antenna will be grounded when its attached to the fender.
Hope this helps,Ray

mdulrich

Feed Provider
With the truck being that old I'm sure you have a metallic hood. Some of the newer vehicles coming out don't have metallic hoods and trunks.

Mike

Al42

Check the ground straps between the fender and the engine.

Does the noise change in pitch with engine speed? With vehicle speed? Not at all? Different types of noise come from different parts of the engine and eliminating alternator whine, when you're hearing spark plug noise, is a waste of effort.

Do you have resistor wires on the plugs? Is it 2 years old or less? (Oil, from fumes under the hood, on the wires can defeat the resistance, letting the scanner hear noise.)

Once you determine what it is that you're hearing, there's probably an easy way to eliminate a lot of it.

mareswj

I don't get any whining when engine revs or popping like spark. I do have resistor type wires. If my antenna cable is to close to the interference will that cause a problem????
I'll check grounding of fender..

Al42

mareswj said:
I don't get any whining when engine revs or popping like spark.
Then what kind of interference are you getting?
If my antenna cable is to close to the interference will that cause a problem????
Of course - the closer the antenna is to it, the stronger you'll receive it.

Status
Not open for further replies.