Pro-668: How do I know if my scanner has been hacked?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dornier

Premium Subscriber
Hi everyone,

I got a Pro-668 from eBay and it appears to be working, but I keep reading about hacked firmware for the Pro-668. Is there anyway to make sure I have a stock 668?

Thanks,

George

dornier

Premium Subscriber
By the way, when I push MENU and connect it to my PC, the scanner displays:

uP BootVer:RF1.1
uP App Ver:RF2.3

CPU SW Upgrade:
Waiting for USB

Thanks again,

George

JustLou

When you turn it on, if it says "Radio Shack" you have a stock 668. If it says "Whistler", it has been flashed with WS1080 firmware.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
By the way, when I push MENU and connect it to my PC, the scanner displays:

uP BootVer:RF1.1
uP App Ver:RF2.3

CPU SW Upgrade:
Waiting for USB

Thanks again,

George

Your scanner has not been hacked...you should be seeing the Radio Shack logo when you turn it on.

Consider sending the scanner to Whistler for the legacy upgrade. It fixes a lot of what's wrong with the long abandoned radio shack firmware by replacing it with Whistler WS1080 firmware and ezscan.

That is correct.

Your scanner has not been hacked...you should be seeing the Radio Shack logo when you turn it on.

Consider sending the scanner to Whistler for the legacy upgrade. It fixes a lot of what's wrong with the long abandoned radio shack firmware by replacing it with Whistler WS1080 firmware and ezscan.

That is correct. I sent my PRO 668 in for the upgrade and it was well worth it. Yes I use EZSCAN to do the updates for the radio now and plus it has DMR receive.

dornier

Premium Subscriber
Thanks and yes, I saw that on their website. Mighty nice of them to take care of the scanner upgrade for a nominal fee. Hopefully it won't take long to upgrade.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

dornier

Premium Subscriber
Since several of you sent your Pro-668 into Whistler, how long was the turnaround?

Also, is there much DMR content? I tend to listen to aviation, ham radio, and Railroad related frequencies. Other than increasing its value, is it really worth upgrading?

Thanks,

George

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Upgrade

I have a RS Pro 18 and a GRE PSR 800 that both went in to Whistler. The RS came back in just over a week, and both work great. This is not a hack, but a well planned out upgrade, especially for the RS, which lacked features of the GRE but often sold for more. I got the RS on the first round of store closings for about $200, so even with the upgrade cost I consider it a bargain.

fredva

Feed Provider
Whistler's advertised turnaround time is up to two weeks, but I sent my PRO-18 to Whistler on a Friday afternoon and got it back the next Friday afternoon. Of course, there can be some variation.

DMR usage depends on your location. I did a quick (not thorough) look at Jefferson County KY and saw DMR usage by Slugger Field and UPS. You can take a look at the Jefferson County businesses on this page and see which ones have DMR: https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=1044#cid-15842

Generally speaking, DMR is a digital format used by businesses as well as some smaller localities.

Status
Not open for further replies.