• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

How do i legally purchase Kenwood software for a tk 860hg??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently received a Kenwood tk860hg VHF mobile radio,
and I need to figure out some software to program this radio but I would like to get it legally if possible, so where would be the best place to get the software?

I already have a USB cable and driver for a TK840 will this work for the 860 also??

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
There was a "repair discontinuation notice" from Kenwood in April of 2013, so "no longer supported". Kenwood doesn't seem to sell the software anymore, from what I can find. You might be able to find a Kenwood dealer that has it in stock, still, or you might find that they'd be willing to "find" a copy for you.

This is one of the troubles with programming software for older radios. The manufacturer stops supporting the radios, and it gets hard/difficult/impossible to legally find software.

Likely a shop that's been around for a while will have a copy. They'll always program it for you, for a charge.

Seems like finding a not-so-legal copy might be one of the few options, not that I'd be condoning that……

There was a "repair discontinuation notice" from Kenwood in April of 2013, so "no longer supported". Kenwood doesn't seem to sell the software anymore, from what I can find. You might be able to find a Kenwood dealer that has it in stock, still, or you might find that they'd be willing to "find" a copy for you.

This is one of the troubles with programming software for older radios. The manufacturer stops supporting the radios, and it gets hard/difficult/impossible to legally find software.

Likely a shop that's been around for a while will have a copy. They'll always program it for you, for a charge.

Seems like finding a not-so-legal copy might be one of the few options, not that I'd be condoning that……

thank you for your reply! in the morning I will call around to a couple of dealers and see what I can find, do you know if this radio is narrow band or not??

Cowthief

Hello.

If you have a cable for the TK840, you have the cable for the TK860.
Kenwood Programming Information
I called Kenwood up a few years ago and was sent the software, free.
Non supported does not mean you can not get it.
Kenwood - Communcations Main Page
To make this clear, you are on your own, I do not supply any radio software or support.
I can program the radio, for a fee, but that is anyone in the industry.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
There is windows software for them... Yes they will do narrowband.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I ask, I use the DOS software for my tk880's.

Most of the synthesized Kenwood stuff will narrowband. at At least, most of the stuff I've ever seen.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
The TK-860 was an older first version model and the software is dos only. The 860G (and the 880) is a later revision platform that uses different software. Both started with dos but eventually upgraded to windows.

KPG-56D is what you're looking for. Now I know they yanked it for download from the Kenwood dealer site, but you might still be able to purchase a CD. Have a dealer check for you. Kenwood is a little more lenient in the software department.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I'm pretty sure it is VHF, in another form I was reading something like the 760 is DOS and the 760hg ( what I have ) is WIN

Correct. The way to tell is by the buttons. If they are all black and not back lit it is the original version, and uses DOS. If they are white buttons, that are back lit then it is a G version and uses Windows.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.