• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

    Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

    If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

    To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

    The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

    For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

    This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

How do I report this to the FCC?

Not open for further replies.


Apr 19, 2005
I own a small radio shop that I handle through the week, and have a stedy Night/weekend job as a regular income.
I havent been in business for too long, about 1 year. I have been working on radio systems, for many years, but have never had to file a complaint to the FCC.

One of the systems I look after is used for Emergency Management. Theyre operating on 156.180. A co-worker runs dogs and hunts, and he has told me before him and his buddies use marine radios. I keep telling him that if he gets caught, bla bla bla, he says...OK what ever.

The other day the EMA was using the radio for official EMA business. I get to work, and the guy I work with tells me he heard someone talking on the marine channel they use, and he told me what he thought they said. I happened to be listening to the radio traffic on the EMA channel, and could tell that what my co worker was explaining to me was the EMA's radio traffic. This guy told me him and his buddies run on channel 63, which I see is 156.175. I see a potential for interference. I would like this taken care of, even if it means the co worker getting a letter from the FCC. At least they would stop using the marine radios. They have not interfered with the EMA's communications yet, but I see the potential for it, and would like to stop it before it happens.

Looking through the FCC's website, I am not seeing an easy way of doing this, and was looking for some info on the steps I would need to take to get the report to the right place.

Any help is appreciated.



There are a couple of different routes to follow to file interference complaints on the FCC website. One is via the Contact Us menu.

The FCC is looking for interference complaints from licensed users of radio frequencies, though. If you state that someone is interfering with licensed communications but you are not the licensee - and the real licensee has not complained - then they are unlikely to pay much attention to you.

It might be more effective to tip off the EMA about the situation. If they are having problems, then they have motivation (and standing) to get it taken care of. If they are not having problems, then they might or might not be interested in going further.

A simple complaint about unlicensed use of spectrum is actionable, but with its limited resources the FCC is more focused on such situations that actually cause interference.
Not open for further replies.