How do I scan? Don't laugh I'm new!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghost21

I have a PRO-2066 and I want to scan my local Police channel. The freq is 852.6125 but when I put it in, nothing happens even while I'm right next to them using their radio. How do I do this? What am I doing wrong?

bama9999

I'm afraid you're going to have to have a digital scanner. What you are trying to listen to is a P25 Phase I trunking system. Kansas Statewide Interoperable Communication System (KSICS) Trunking System, Statewide, Kansas - Scanner Frequencies

The currently available models that will cover this are the Uniden BCD996XT BCD396XT BCD436HP and the BCD536HP. Whistler is coming out with some scanners that will work, but they haven't been released yet. Also, if you can find them, some of the GRE, Radio Shack and Uniden scanners that are no longer in production, will also work with this system.

wtp

what he said also...

in a trunking system the frequency in not static, it changes. that was the repeater output channel so the signal goes from the transmitting radio to the repeater to your radio. if you had a regular scanner you would just hear a buzz noise, you will need a digital radio.

Ghost21

Thank you! One more question?

So, not to sound like an idiot, but I'm gonna go ahead and ask, my scanner says it is a trunking system already. Why would I need to get a new one if it is already a trunking system?

N8IAA

So, not to sound like an idiot, but I'm gonna go ahead and ask, my scanner says it is a trunking system already. Why would I need to get a new one if it is already a trunking system?

First, the scanner you have is an Analog trunking scanner. It will not receive the statewide trunking system because they are Digital, and have rebanded. You will need scanners such as the Pro-106/197, and BCD396XT/996XT, or HP-1. You will not need the new x36HP scanners from Uniden.

Second, have you tried monitoring the conventional VHF/UHF frequencies? You may not need a new scanner if they are broadcasting from the statewide system on those frequencies.
HTH,
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.