How do I shield radio's in my GoBox (Shack-in-a-box)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PCTEK

Premium Subscriber
I am building a self contained "shack-in-a-box" with a 10u rack system. The box will contain 2 Uniden 536HP's, 1 Motorola MCS2000 & 1 Yaesu FT991A. I am concerned about overloading the front end's of each radio. How can I "shield" the radio's from each other? All antenna connectors are on a single19" 1u plate.

Thank you,

Steve

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
If you are using decent coax with full shield, and everything is properly grounded/bonded, then you are OK on the box end.

Where you need to focus is on antenna separation.
I've got racks full of radios at work, and no issues at all. But it works because we properly space out our antenna installations.

PCTEK

Premium Subscriber
If this helps: The Yaesu will primarily be on 2 meters (infrequently 70 cm) and the Motorola MCS2000 is on UHF 450-512Mhz connectors to be mounted on a 19" panel to which the actual antennas will connect.

PCTEK

Premium Subscriber
When you say "Antenna Separation" are you referring to the placement of the physical antenna location or the separation of the antenna jack on the 19" rack panel?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Physical separation of your antennas.

The transmit antennas will need to be several feet from your other antennas. The scanner antennas can be co-located with each other, but separate from the others.

So, 3 separate antenna supports, keep as much space between them as you can. Exact spacing to prevent desensitization of the receivers will take some experience.

ScanWI

MN & WI DB Admin
Database Admin
Using a dulexer to combine UHF and VHF into one antenna could help reduce the amount of antennas you are trying to separate.

Here are the ones from Comet, you can also find them from MFJ, Diamond, EmWave, and others

a417

If you're not using a diplexer, you need to get that MCS2000 antenna (or any transmitting antenna) away from everything else, you will simply SMOKE the front ends of the scanners with (what could be a hundred watts if your MCS is a hi-power deck like mine).

You need to get the transmitted signal up & out. More vertical separation the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.