SDS100/SDS200: How do I Skip, Resume, Scan (or whatever it's called on this model)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Every scanner I've owned has buttons for MANual & SCAN modes. Some also have an Advance or UP and DOWN. On the SDS-100 I see no way to "step through" channels. More importantly, I see no way to tell the scanner to just scan on ahead even though the channel it's stopped on is still talking.

I'll explain further. I listen to a lot of channels and have several units going at once. Every now and then two units stop on the same thing (although one might be via a direct frequency and the other is trunked). All I want to do is tell the SDS-100 to GO. I do NOT want to Avoid the channel. There's enough programmed that by the time it gets back around it will either stop somewhere else and/or the channel will be quiet.

Pressing any number key or . brings up the FF.SS.DD display. Pressing Avoid I don't want to do. Pressing Zip brings me there. Pressing E seems to take me to the Menu. Only other options include the Function. Is is another BASIC thing left out of this scanner?

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
Rotate the knob one click clockwise will continue scanning "Up"...
One click counter clockwise will continue scanning "Down" as in reverse the scanning direction...
You can tell the direction by the arrow in the top right corner of the display...

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Every scanner I've owned has buttons for MANual & SCAN modes. Some also have an Advance or UP and DOWN. On the SDS-100 I see no way to "step through" channels. More importantly, I see no way to tell the scanner to just scan on ahead even though the channel it's stopped on is still talking.

I'll explain further. I listen to a lot of channels and have several units going at once. Every now and then two units stop on the same thing (although one might be via a direct frequency and the other is trunked). All I want to do is tell the SDS-100 to GO. I do NOT want to Avoid the channel. There's enough programmed that by the time it gets back around it will either stop somewhere else and/or the channel will be quiet.

Pressing any number key or . brings up the FF.SS.DD display. Pressing Avoid I don't want to do. Pressing Zip brings me there. Pressing E seems to take me to the Menu. Only other options include the Function. Is is another BASIC thing left out of this scanner?
As Randy already noted, if the scanner stops on a frequency that you don't want at that time (such as you are hearing the same thing on another scanner), then a small turn of the scroll knob will jump start it back to scanning without having to use avoid.

If you want to 'step through' the channels, or talkgroups, on a given system, or the scanner itself, just press the Channel soft key. That will cause the scanner to hold on whatever channel or TGID it is receiving. If it was scanning, not stopped and receiving a conversation, it will stop and show a channel wherever it was in the scanning cycle, labeled as Hold. With the channel on hold, you can scroll up or down to get to what you were looking for. To hold on a given Department, press that soft key; for a system, use the third soft key. If you wanted to hold on a specific site, on a trunked system, when scanning the system (or holding on the system), press the Function key then the Department key. Just remember that to remove the Site hold, you'd need to press Function, then the Department key.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Thank you Randy & Steve. I am relieved that this function exists. However, I see no mention of anything either of you wrote above in the manual. It makes me wonder what else is not in the manual. George

Status
Not open for further replies.