• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Anytone How do I UNLOCK Anytone AT-D878UV HT?

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
I am thinking about buying an Anytone AT-D878UV HT and really dont want to have to jump through all the hoops and BS of unlocking it like I had to with my Alinco MD500 mobile and TYT UV380. The radio out of the box is set for COMMERCIAL use not amateur. NO clear instructions on how to do this. No helpful videos on Youtube and the salespeople at HRO are not much help. There are LOTS of hams out there that have this radio, maybe some on here. So SOMEBODY must know how to do this.

K4EET

Chaplain
Hi Bob,

It’s a little unclear which model AnyTone you are actually inquiring about as well as exactly what you mean by “unlocking” the radio.

1. Are you aware that the older and lower tier 878 models cannot hold the entire user database? I have the AT-D878UVII Plus which has a 500,000 user capacity. Which specific model are you inquiring about? If it is really the AT-D878UV, that older model can only hold 200,000 users. Since the current database exceeds that capacity, you will be seeing a fair number of unknown users on their transmissions.

2. When you say “the radio out of the box is set for COMMERCIAL use not amateur,” mine was not that way. While it does have a “commercial Part 90” mode of operation, it was not “locked” in that mode out of the box. Perhaps you would be better off buying from BridgeCom Systems. They have a decent “plug and play” package that assures you of being able to get on the air straight out of the box. While programming the HT is not rocket science, an understanding of how DMR Tier II Systems operate on say the BrandMeister network is required.

Hope this helps you out. 73, Dave K4EET

PrivatelyJeff

Has more money than sense
Premium Subscriber
I am thinking about buying an Anytone AT-D878UV HT and really dont want to have to jump through all the hoops and BS of unlocking it like I had to with my Alinco MD500 mobile and TYT UV380. The radio out of the box is set for COMMERCIAL use not amateur. NO clear instructions on how to do this. No helpful videos on Youtube and the salespeople at HRO are not much help. There are LOTS of hams out there that have this radio, maybe some on here. So SOMEBODY must know how to do this.
There’s literally dozens of videos and sites all about tweaking it. What exactly are you wanting to do?

hp8920

Are you aware that the older and lower tier 878 models cannot hold the entire user database?

There's no reason to bother with a user database when the 878, along with MMDVM, Brandmeister, Pi-Star, etc. all support DMR Talker Alias.

All you have to do is to switch it on and the user's callsign and name are sent over the air in real-time direct from their radio or Brandmeister or the daily updated hotspot database.

Last edited:

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
BAND ERROR is the problem. I have programmed 2 Alinco DR MD500 mobile radios and 3 TYT MD UV380 HT's. In all instances they were LOCKED out of the box, unable to program! Radios were set to "Professional" or "Commercial" mode. Even though as a first step, once every radio as connected via cable (and working port) I would first copy from radio to PC.....like all instructions say to...but that still doesnt work. I fully understand how to make a code plug. But when a few of my ham friends go their new radios, both the TYT's and the Alincos, they all exhibited the "BAND ERROR" problem. There is software I found that unlocks the Alincos. But you have to play with it till it eventually works. I cant be the only ham that has bought new DMR radios that has this problem. As for the user database, I dont need that.

PrivatelyJeff

Premium Subscriber
BAND ERROR is the problem. I have programmed 2 Alinco DR MD500 mobile radios and 3 TYT MD UV380 HT's. In all instances they were LOCKED out of the box, unable to program! Radios were set to "Professional" or "Commercial" mode. Even though as a first step, once every radio as connected via cable (and working port) I would first copy from radio to PC.....like all instructions say to...but that still doesnt work. I fully understand how to make a code plug. But when a few of my ham friends go their new radios, both the TYT's and the Alincos, they all exhibited the "BAND ERROR" problem. There is software I found that unlocks the Alincos. But you have to play with it till it eventually works. I cant be the only ham that has bought new DMR radios that has this problem. As for the user database, I dont need that.

It sounds like your google skills are lacking. You just need to make sure your radio and code plug are set for the same band settings. Go download google and download AT_options and use it to set your radio to wherever your code plug is to. You can find out about that in the programming application.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
It sounds like your google skills are lacking. You just need to make sure your radio and code plug are set for the same band settings. Go download google and download AT_options and use it to set your radio to wherever your code plug is to. You can find out about that in the programming application.
My Google skills are fine. I have Googled for information on how to unlock both the TYT MD9600, TYT MD UV380 and Alinco DR500. The only thing that comes up is where you are supposed to press this button or that button as you turn on radio and it magically unlocks. I did use AT_options for the 2 Alinco mobile radios. I got AT_options from a friend who sent me a link for "Band error" issue, and there was a link for AT_options....otherwise I would have never known about AT_options. Thats the only way it would work. There are a bunch of reviews on these and some other DMR radios but NOBODY mentions how to unlock them. I bought the TYT MD UV380 as my first DMR radio. Once I got used to writing code plugs and was comfortable, I bought the Alinco MD 500 mobile radio. I want to upgrade to a better HT and I decided on the Anytone. The Anytone appears to be very similar to the Alinco so I am assuming I can use AT_options to unlock it. Its aggravating cause there is no clear instructions on how to unlock these radios. And with thousands of them being sold, there simply has to be people out there that can post a simple video showing how to do this.

PrivatelyJeff

Premium Subscriber
My Google skills are fine. I have Googled for information on how to unlock both the TYT MD9600, TYT MD UV380 and Alinco DR500. The only thing that comes up is where you are supposed to press this button or that button as you turn on radio and it magically unlocks. I did use AT_options for the 2 Alinco mobile radios. I got AT_options from a friend who sent me a link for "Band error" issue, and there was a link for AT_options....otherwise I would have never known about AT_options. Thats the only way it would work. There are a bunch of reviews on these and some other DMR radios but NOBODY mentions how to unlock them. I bought the TYT MD UV380 as my first DMR radio. Once I got used to writing code plugs and was comfortable, I bought the Alinco MD 500 mobile radio. I want to upgrade to a better HT and I decided on the Anytone. The Anytone appears to be very similar to the Alinco so I am assuming I can use AT_options to unlock it. Its aggravating cause there is no clear instructions on how to unlock these radios. And with thousands of them being sold, there simply has to be people out there that can post a simple video showing how to do this.
Unlock how? What do you think is locked?

K4EET

Chaplain
Unlock how? What do you think is locked?
@bobruzzo, I agree with @PrivatelyJeff. Also, I hear you that:
BAND ERROR is the problem.
What is missing from your “UNLOCK” request is what specifically do you want to do when you take a brand spanking new AnyTone AT-D878UV out of the box for the very first time that the transceiver cannot do as-found within its programming capabilities?

As an example for what I am looking for in your reply, let’s say you want it to operate as an 800 MHz conventional radio. I have not tried programming an 800 MHz simplex pair in but I guess you would receive some kind of a “BAND ERROR” error dialog window.

Sooooooo… What is it that you need to do on a fresh out of the box AnyTone AT-D878UV transceiver that you cannot do until the “UNLOCK” function has been applied?

Thanks for the expanded clarification.

Dave K4EET

K4EET

Chaplain
@bobruzzo, your other thread:

possibly answers my question above in Post #9. Is all you want to do is to be able to transmit and receive outside of the ham bands within the transceiver’s VHF and UHF design limits?

There is a menu option to set the transceiver into a Part 90 configuration. As such, I think I read somewhere that activating this mode will disable most of the keypad to be Part 90 compliant.

PrivatelyJeff

Premium Subscriber
@bobruzzo, your other thread:

possibly answers my question above in Post #9. Is all you want to do is to be able to transmit and receive outside of the ham bands within the transceiver’s VHF and UHF design limits?

There is a menu option to set the transceiver into a Part 90 configuration. As such, I think I read somewhere that activating this mode will disable most of the keypad to be Part 90 compliant.
People conflate the bands it can operate on with the options available depending on “Professional” or “amateur” mode. The professional vs amateur option in the settings only controls what options are available from the keypad. Professional mode limits them down to personalization settings whereas amateur lets you do front panel programming as well. It’s entirely possible to have your radio setup to operate on the full band range the radio supports (commercial as well as ham bands concurrently) and have every option available via the keypad.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
@bobruzzo, I agree with @PrivatelyJeff. Also, I hear you that:

What is missing from your “UNLOCK” request is what specifically do you want to do when you take a brand spanking new AnyTone AT-D878UV out of the box for the very first time that the transceiver cannot do as-found within its programming capabilities?

As an example for what I am looking for in your reply, let’s say you want it to operate as an 800 MHz conventional radio. I have not tried programming an 800 MHz simplex pair in but I guess you would receive some kind of a “BAND ERROR” error dialog window.

Sooooooo… What is it that you need to do on a fresh out of the box AnyTone AT-D878UV transceiver that you cannot do until the “UNLOCK” function has been applied?

Thanks for the expanded clarification.

Dave K4EET
OK I will try to explain. I am a HAM...I want to use the radio (Anytone At D878UV) for DMR and analog HAM. I have a working knowledge of making and using codeplugs. I have programmed 2 Alinco mobile rigs (DR MD500) and 2 TYT HT's (TYT MD UV380) and in each instance, out of the box have run into "BAND ERROR" or some kind of complication trying to get these radios to work on the HAM BANDS they are designed for. They seem to be in "Professional Mode" or "Commercial Mode". I searched Youtube and Google and apparently I am the only person in the world that has this problem. None of the videos address this. The videos just show the radios features, how to program code plug, etc. I realize these radios are not specifically made for HAM radio but for COMMERCIAL radio. So you have to jump thru hoops to get them to work on HAM bands. But there is no clear instructions on how to do this. One of the guys at our radio club said to try "AT_Options" for the Alincos.....and that worked. The TYT radios needed some other procedure to unlock. I am assuming the Anytone is very similar to the Alinco, so "AT_Options" should work on that radio too. I understand on some radios you have to unlock them for HAM use by pressing certain buttons as you turn the radio on. I understand you have to first UPLOAD FROM RADIO then make your codeplug. As a HAM radio operator this is what I want to do. Some of my other HAM friends had gotten DMR radios, The Alinco and TYT's.......Since I had more experience programming the codeplugs I offered to do that for them. But when I started setting up these radios to program, every one was LOCKED, meaning it was unable to program for Amateur use. Eventually we did figure out with some help from others how to do this. So anyway since I plan to buy the Anytone HT I posted on here to see if there was a SIMPLE way to unlock it out of the box. These radios come locked from factory to stop unauthorized people from using, from what I was told. I understand the CPS version (model) number has to match the radio. Also I have NO desire to transmit on bands/freqs other than HAM.

PrivatelyJeff

Premium Subscriber
OK I will try to explain. I am a HAM...I want to use the radio (Anytone At D878UV) for DMR and analog HAM. I have a working knowledge of making and using codeplugs. I have programmed 2 Alinco mobile rigs (DR MD500) and 2 TYT HT's (TYT MD UV380) and in each instance, out of the box have run into "BAND ERROR" or some kind of complication trying to get these radios to work on the HAM BANDS they are designed for. They seem to be in "Professional Mode" or "Commercial Mode". I searched Youtube and Google and apparently I am the only person in the world that has this problem. None of the videos address this. The videos just show the radios features, how to program code plug, etc. I realize these radios are not specifically made for HAM radio but for COMMERCIAL radio. So you have to jump thru hoops to get them to work on HAM bands. But there is no clear instructions on how to do this. One of the guys at our radio club said to try "AT_Options" for the Alincos.....and that worked. The TYT radios needed some other procedure to unlock. I am assuming the Anytone is very similar to the Alinco, so "AT_Options" should work on that radio too. I understand on some radios you have to unlock them for HAM use by pressing certain buttons as you turn the radio on. I understand you have to first UPLOAD FROM RADIO then make your codeplug. As a HAM radio operator this is what I want to do. Some of my other HAM friends had gotten DMR radios, The Alinco and TYT's.......Since I had more experience programming the codeplugs I offered to do that for them. But when I started setting up these radios to program, every one was LOCKED, meaning it was unable to program for Amateur use. Eventually we did figure out with some help from others how to do this. So anyway since I plan to buy the Anytone HT I posted on here to see if there was a SIMPLE way to unlock it out of the box. These radios come locked from factory to stop unauthorized people from using, from what I was told. I understand the CPS version (model) number has to match the radio. Also I have NO desire to transmit on bands/freqs other than HAM.
The radios are generally made for ham radio users but did get part 90 certification as well.

The “AT” in “AT_Options” stands for Anytone. For some bizarre reason your radio was set to commercial bands instead of ham or full open. Use AT_options to change your radio band plan to match your code plug and upload. If you downloaded from the radio first then made the plug, you’ll have to export everything from the plug, download a new blank one from the radio then import the data back into the plug then upload that back to the radio.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Bob, to unlock the MD-UV380 see the last paragraph on the webpage W2XQ.com : Amateur Radio: DMR : TYT MD-UV380 -- and perhaps the other information may also be helpful.
OK Thank you. Sorry my post annoyed some people but it is very difficult to find clear, accurate directions online to unlock these radios. Would you know how to add, on an individual basis just a FEW of my most contacted DMR users? I dont want the WHOLE database, but maybe about only 10. Thank you.

w2xq

Mentor
OK Thank you. Sorry my post annoyed some people but it is very difficult to find clear, accurate directions online to unlock these radios. Would you know how to add, on an individual basis just a FEW of my most contacted DMR users? I dont want the WHOLE database, but maybe about only 10. Thank you.
Sorry to be slow in replying. I don't know which radio you are asking about, but I like using the N0GSG DMR Contact Manager Support Page software that handles a multitude of radios (including the TYT).

Download the PDF help file. Figures 1 and 2 illustrate adding your own list of desired contacts. I have <50 persons entered in my codeplug, and the N0GSG software will sort the the entries by whatever column header I choose.

The TYT MD-UV380 software does not have sorting capability.

I hope this helps.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Sorry to be slow in replying. I don't know which radio you are asking about, but I like using the N0GSG DMR Contact Manager Support Page software that handles a multitude of radios (including the TYT).

Download the PDF help file. Figures 1 and 2 illustrate adding your own list of desired contacts. I have <50 persons entered in my codeplug, and the N0GSG software will sort the the entries by whatever column header I choose.

The TYT MD-UV380 software does not have sorting capability.

I hope this helps.
I have an Alinco DR MD500 mobile radio. In the CPS there is a section to add entries from master database but it looks like you can manually enter the contacts of your choice. I will take a look at the N0GSG page and see if that will be useful. I also have the TYT MD UV380 but its been programmed with a good codeplug for a while and I have been using it with no issues so I dont worry too much about changing anything in it. It's been slow going trying to tweak the radios for DMR cause there are no clear simple instructions and some of the options in the CPS are cryptic with no explanation what they do. But radios working great. The only thing I am still working on is to get radio to display the data on my contacts when they are on radio. Right now I get their radio ID and the talk group. I edited the digital radio contact list in the CPS for the Alinco and put in a few friends so next time we are chatting I will see if their data appears on screen.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
I went to the amateurradio.digital website and opened account, but my radio, Alinco DR MD500 (mobile) isn't in the drop down list to be able to import the digital contact database.....I keep going in circles with this. Where do I find the digital contact user database to download? There doesnt seem to be one for my radio unless I can use one from compatible radio.

Last edited: