How do radios work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I pick up transmissions from police or EMS say 15 miles from me, am i picking up a signal broadcast directly from their radio or does the radio send a weak signal to something that amplifies it to a broader area?

Is it the same type of operation for trunked systems as conventional frequencies?

Thanks

excellent! but what about the radio from best buy and such? GMRS i think it is? those are just broadcast from the radio henforth the range limitation correct?
thanksagain

mancow

Database Admin
Correct...they are generally limited to 1/2 a watt and a small fixed antenna. They aren't operating through a repeater either, it's unit to unit.

trace1

mancow said:
Correct...they are generally limited to 1/2 a watt and a small fixed antenna. They aren't operating through a repeater either, it's unit to unit.

Wrong...

FRS is limited to 1/2 watt and a small fixed antenna not GMRS.

CSL126 said:
I think it is possible to set up a GMRS repeater, if you obtain a license first. Right?

An FCC license is needed to legally transmit, and yes you can set up your own GMRS repeater.

mancow

Database Admin
He did say (RADIOS FROM BEST BUY AND SUCH). That would lead me to think FRS but the fact remains the same. They are fixed antennas and low power.

:roll:

trace1

mancow said:
He did say (RADIOS FROM BEST BUY AND SUCH). That would lead me to think FRS but the fact remains the same. They are fixed antennas and low power.

True...

However that'd most likely be the FRS/GMRS hybrids (bubble-packs) that most have 1/2 watt on FRS and 1 watt on GMRS but you're right on the fixed antenna and low power part.

Status
Not open for further replies.