• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

    Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

    If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

    To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

    The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

    For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

    This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

How do Statewide Radio Systems work?

Not open for further replies.


Premium Subscriber
Feb 27, 2004
That's a simple question with a complex answer. The short response is "It depends".

Did all the agencies on the system pay into the construction of the system?
Is the system owned by a single agency, multiple agencies, a consortium/district, or a private entity?
Is the system managed by a single agency, but sites were built by individual jurisdictions?

I'm sure that there are many, many other questions that are involved, but here's an example from a private TRS:

The Radio Shop sells Company X a number of radios. The Shop programs their radios with the frequencies used by the system that the Radio Shop has built. The Radio Shop then allocates as many talkgroups as Company X requires. The Radio Shop then charges Company X a fee for the use of the radio system. This fee could be a monthly, quarterly, semi-annual, or annual payment. The payment could be "per radio" on the system or it could be "per radio * per talkgroup". It also could be per radio with a per minute airtime charge.

If Company X wants additional features, such as Telephone Interconnect (phone patch), AVL (FleetStat (tm)), "Private Call" (unit to unit calling), etc. then those could incur additional charges. If the Radio Shop has a "wide area" system with multiple systems that are linked together, and Company X wants that wide area coverage, then the Radio Shop could also charge for that, as it would tie up multiple resources across the system.

For example, look at TeamTalk Networks for an example of a wide area private LMR network.
Last edited:


Sep 9, 2004
It would help if you specify what state you are asking about or you are in!

In Kansas, the state built and owns the statewide 800Mhz P-25 system. Other agencies can operate on the system free of cost, but they must either purchase or lease their own "subscriber units" (mobile and portable radios) and control stations (relays to connect their dispatch centers to the system).

If a city or county wants to use the system as their primary means of communication, but needs to expand coverage to do so (e.g. additional tower sites), they can contract with the state to have a subsystem constructed. Several counties have done this and others are in the process.
Not open for further replies.