How do you answer the question of why you monitor scanner traffic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

n1das

+1 :cool:
I prefer the term - "Situational Awareness"
Situational Awareness (SA) nails it. :cool:

People who wonder why you have a scanner often are the ones who come to you and ask what's going on when local PD and FD activity is happening nearby.

Sent from my XP8800 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DJ11DLN

I am a nosey SOB

This is pretty much verbatim what I tell anyone who asks. Remarkably few people in my circle do though, as many of them either have or used to have a scanner or else they were involved in Public Safety at one time or another...or still are.

It is also both entertaining and useful when driving for the reasons already mentioned. I also find it less distracting than broadcast radio. And I realize now that I am fast approaching the 50 year mark myself; I was about 7 when my parents got that first BC3. And when I moved out one of my first "luxury" purchases was an identical BC3 that I got for $5 at a yard sale. The crystals to make it work cost a good bit more. Moved on to more modern stuff then had a hiatus starting in the mid-90s because the then-wife couldn't abide the sound of a scanner and in fact thought that it was somehow wrong or immoral to monitor comms. Continued the hiatus for awhile after that due to being broke and about 99% of what I wanted to hear having moved to a system my old gear couldn't monitor. Got back in 2013 thanks to Part I of the Great Radioshack Fire Sale and haven't looked back; it's more fun than ever these days.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
How do you ... the question?

I used to list Monitoring Police/Fire Scanners on my resume under Hobbies* back in the day. When asked why? I give my reasons ... started listening in 1974 at the box office of a theater down by the highway. Great fun, saved my butt MANY times. BUT as it says on the statue of EMIL FABER of FABER COLLEGE in the beginning of the movie ANIMAL HOUSE "Knowledge is good" it's on most the day because I have the right to know what is going on around me. It's not about voyeurism, it's about being prepared and not being a victim ;0)

azduststorm

KJ7QVY
I live in a cop, military, and prison town. With no Local news . I need the first hand news knowing my family will be safe. This is one way to know whats going on at all times. If people don't understand the safety part of scanning without asking questions then........ I just ignore them. but if something were to happen I would be the first person that they come and ask what happened. So I guess I just tell them that when they ask and its all good after that.

I live in a cop, military, and prison town. With no Local news . I need the first hand news knowing my family will be safe. This is one way to know whats going on at all times. If people don't understand the safety part of scanning without asking questions then........ I just ignore them. but if something were to happen I would be the first person that they come and ask what happened. So I guess I just tell them that when they ask and its all good after that.

NO media BIAS there either. I know very well how things can be changed and appear in a newspaper the day after it happens. Straight from the horse's mouth :D

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
I've had a keen interest in law enforcement and first responders, fire apparatus, etc from an early age. I used to hear sirens quite often where I lived as a child & was curious as to where they were going. I bought my first scanner radio (Radioshack Pro 79) my freshman year of high school and instantly caught the "DXing" bug. I became a founding member of my high school's computer & amateur radio club (a decade and a half before I studied & passed the exam for my ticket). Then came 9/11 my senior year, which took my hobby to a new extreme. A few $500-$1000 receivers and cheaper SDRs later, here I am today. From shortwave, amateur radio, public safety, decoding digital modes & more, there's so much to explore in the radio world. I listen to my radios more often than I watch TV nowadays

azduststorm

KJ7QVY
In this town stories get turned around real fast. They say that my town is the safest in Arizona. So not true after you move here. Make matters even worse, when you hear all the crap that goes on on the scanner your like unbelievable. I have been here in this town for a year and half and seen the police cover up so many things its not even funny Or you have people say something totally different than what you heard on the scanner..
In a small town like mine people just start drama because their isn't anything else to do. So I know what your saying by straight out of the horses mouth!!!

azduststorm

KJ7QVY
I've had a keen interest in law enforcement and first responders, fire apparatus, etc from an early age. I used to hear sirens quite often where I lived as a child & was curious as to where they were going. I bought my first scanner radio (Radioshack Pro 79) my freshman year of high school and instantly caught the "DXing" bug. I became a founding member of my high school's computer & amateur radio club (a decade and a half before I studied & passed the exam for my ticket). Then came 9/11 my senior year, which took my hobby to a new extreme. A few $500-$1000 receivers and cheaper SDRs later, here I am today. From shortwave, amateur radio, public safety, decoding digital modes & more, there's so much to explore in the radio world. I listen to my radios more often than I watch TV nowadays
I just got into decoding with a rtl!

Scanner

In this town stories get turned around real fast. They say that my town is the safest in Arizona. So not true after you move here. Make matters even worse, when you hear all the crap that goes on on the scanner your like unbelievable. I have been here in this town for a year and half and seen the police cover up so many things its not even funny Or you have people say something totally different than what you heard on the scanner..
In a small town like mine people just start drama because their isn't anything else to do. So I know what your saying by straight out of the horses mouth!!!

They gossip here too... The local gossip website there is a thread about something happening and everyone knows what happened, yet they don't know what happened. The details are pretty muddy with some of them. I heard it and thought "that will be in the news"... BAM it was there and was TOTALLY differentThey r very critical of the local publication and the spelling is atrocious. . If one is tired of any kind of "bias" in the news, we members of RR have a deal for you: SCANNER. :D

Last edited:

azduststorm

KJ7QVY
They gossip here too... The local gossip website there is a thread about something happening and everyone knows what happened, yet they don't know what happened. The details are pretty muddy with some of them. I heard it and thought "that will be in the news"... BAM it was there and was TOTALLY different. If one is tired of any kind of "bias" in the news, we members of RR have a deal for you: SCANNER. :D[/QU
exactly !!!!

Hans13

It fits, but is not understood by many, that have not spent time in uniform.

Nowadays, anyone even remotely into self-defense knows the term. It's used a lot. If they grasp the whole idea is another matter.

djeplett

For me I caught the radio bug around 9 years old when I listened late at night with a flashlight with a built-in AM radio. I was amazed how I could hear New York with the flashlight oriented one way & then Chicago with it a different way.

The scanner thing started when I got into CBs and the guy I bought my President Jackson from had a used Bearcat BC210XL for sale, too. Curious, I bought it also and got a Zeroxed copy of all the local frequencies from the local Radio Shack owner and programmed them in.

One night I heard my town's PD chase a guy on foot who had just broken into the pharmacy. Then they called for a K9 & followed him into the woods before apprehending him.

The next day I was amazed there was not a single word in the local paper.

Hooked. Insider info!

So I tell anyone who asks that I love to be in the know.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
I like to know what's going on around me. I've used information gathered from scanning, on many occasions, to avoid trouble spots and traffic jams and take alternate routes. And it's FUN to hear about scumbags getting arrested for stupid stuff.

n1das

I like to know what's going on around me. I've used information gathered from scanning, on many occasions, to avoid trouble spots and traffic jams and take alternate routes. And it's FUN to hear about scumbags getting arrested for stupid stuff.
Same here. It's about the drama and excitement of real life action as it happens live and unedited. I like knowing what's going on around me in a real time format instead of hearing about it later through an edited newscast shrouded in politically correct mythology.

Sent from my XP8800 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

hardsuit

Vrigo Super Cluster, Milky Way Galaxy, Sagatarious
Scanner_Rider - I have my scanner setup for General Info, like AM-FM, VHF air, Marine and and NEWS Reporters/Traffic Reporters. I can Frequently hear them Broadcasting LIVE news as well as sending in NEWS stories for later Broadcast, I can hear Traffic Spotters (plane and Heli) broadcast info Before is goes "live" . back when we had Analog TV I could Listen to TV audio. I also can Enable the normal channels to monitor Public Safety. more recently been Monitoring CAL Fire.
so, why do I scan ? RF security.

rk911

Rich
Premium Subscriber
why does anyone bird watch? collect stamps? run model trains? same answer...for enjoyment.

Status
Not open for further replies.