How do you identify talkgroup

Status
Not open for further replies.

scanmanmi

I heard 1821 today on MPSCS but it is not listed. One guy wanted to phone the other but he said cell phones weren't allowed where he was.

Last edited:

RayAir

- Park on it and record traffic
- Build a list of radio ID's used on the group. See if they were used on any other talk groups that are identified.

I'm pretty sure 1821 is Michigan National Guard.

scannerman5000

Premium Subscriber
I have found a great way to look up all TG's easily via my cellphone. Using Google drive.

I downloaded onto Google drive, the complete TG database in numerical order (found here: RadioReference.com - Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference) using the PDF version, and made it available on my home screen.

There is a search feature that will allow you to type in the TGID and it will find results.

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber
There is also a thread for unidentified talkgroups, which is located here:

There is a new thread created each year.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
RayAir is spot on... you can tell a lot by the radios affiliating to the group. Don't forget the county code that is usually in the RID as well, that sometimes helps a little.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
What's a radio ID and how do you access it?
Each radio has one assigned, that is included in the transmission. The MPSCS format is ZCCUUUU, where Z is the zone of the system that is the radio's home area, CC is the county, and the UUUU is the unique four digit for that radio. (There are many radios in SEMI that have a 9 for the zone, due to running out of numbers in zone 2. There are some dispatch centers that show 00 as their county, like HVA, as they are connected at the microwave level.)

As for how to display them, that depends on the radio. It is just a check box on most software that I have seen.

hockeyref2

Some have 2 digits for the zone so are 8 digit numbers, I have seen radios start with 10, 11, 12, 13,14,15, 16 before the county #.

Status
Not open for further replies.