How do you mark/code your batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawman210

I started to mark my batteries and as always I over thunked it! Do you just mark 1-xxxx? I had them marked 1111, 2222 to keep them as a set for my hot but now with the 436 I have sets of 3 so I thought I would 1.1, 1., 1.3 for hp batteries and 4.x for the 436. Then the matching came into play which is probably a variable thing so how does that come in to play? I'm thinking just keep a sets of 3 and 4's

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

n5ims

Using a permanent marker I just draw a line around each one in a set with a different color. Makes it easy to keep the Red, Blue, and Green sets together. No real need to make sure the batteries always go in the same place in the holder so long as the sets don't get mixed up. When one in a set goes bad, I replace the whole set (who knows what damage the failed battery did to the others and its best to keep them all the same "age", number of charge cycles, etc.).

lawman210

Yes that was my initial intention was to make sure each set was charged the same amount of time. But then I started having to charge my hp1's while my 436's batteries were waiting and started to get confused as to which batteries went with which. My 436 batteries are doing double duty as I don't use the HP1 much unless something important is going on.

Essexscan

wouldn't hurt to check your batteries with a volt meter every few cycles to see if you have any problem cells brewing. Run a black(what color you like) ring around the 436 cells so you can tell which are dedicated to the 436 and which you borrowed from the HP-1. I keep separate sets fro mine and have 3 sets for each dedicated plus spares for backup. Having a couple chargers is always a good idea as they can fail at the worst time or in an emergency.

Essexscan

We really should get a few members together and make some type of Emergency power checklist or manual for our radios/shack/go bag. A lot has changed in batteries/chargers in the last few years. Maybe post it in the storm chasing section or a new emergency operations section

rbm

I keep my batteries in sets of 2, 3, or 4.

When I buy them new, I match them into 'sets' depending on my need at the time.
I mark them ... year-set# ( 2014 - 01 etc.)

I always keep that set together.
If I have a bad cell and it's a set of four, it now is a set of three, then two etc.

Since I started using LSD batteries 8 years ago, I've only had 3 cells out of more than 100 go bad.

I also have more than 80 Li-Ion batteries (16340. 18650 etc.) and I do the same with them.

I use them for flashlights, radios, headlamps, remotes, etc.

I use a lot of 18650's in external battery packs. My grand kids use them for their Kindles etc.

My wife uses more than 40 LSD batteries in LED candles.

Rich

brucewarming

Batteries (GOD) bag

Batteries, one of the first priorities of an emergency. I have a Energizer charger, I don't know how it charges for each of the 4 batteries it charges. On the back is says 360MA x 2 AA and 120MHA x 2 AAA. Per Channel. It has flip outs so you can charge 4 AA's or 2 AA's and 2 AAA's, OR all 4 AAA's. With the MA channel statement I don't know if I can charge just 3 of the 4 slots or not. I have 3 sets of batteries, the stock 3 that came with it and 2 sets of 4 =8 energizer 2300MAH's. I have been discharging the ODD 2 with a flashlight, so they need a charge with the 3 I pull out of the scanner. PITA. I have marked each set to keep the sets of 4 together.

Ed6698

I just mark my batteries 1-4, so I can keep track of them. I vary the slots of charge every time so each battery goes through a different slot, not that it should matter. My regular Eneloops just got done with a refresh and analyze. All the numbers looked good, so they are holding up good so far. I have been putting little more of a beating on my batteries, running the keypad and lcd light on all the time once in a while.

Last edited:
I take groups of 4-fresh from the packs and hit them with a band of Testors spraypaint from my hobby bench..diff colors,diff groups..they stay together as -Married- sets..
When they go,I dump the set..theyre cheap-comparatively..and better to be fresh the S-O-L!

Use what works for you,,and what you have available..Build good habits regarding rotation..

Russell

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
I use a Brother label maker and mark each set with the purchase date. That way I can group them together and I know how old they are. If I have more than 4 for each date then I add 'A', 'B', etc. Works great. If you don't' have a label maker then print out the date on paper and Scotch tape them to the batteries. Always keep the sets together ... never mix them.

Russell

ausscan

Premium Subscriber
I use a Dymo label, with the capacity on the last test, which reminds me that it is time to test them all again! I then cycle them through the charger, using the ones that have similar capacities in the one device.

lawman210

I use a Dymo label, with the capacity on the last test, which reminds me that it is time to test them all again! I then cycle them through the charger, using the ones that have similar capacities in the one device.

Do you take the time to print out the info or are you just writing on the label and peeling them off when you update battery stats?

lawman210

Using a permanent marker I just draw a line around each one in a set with a different color. Makes it easy to keep the Red, Blue, and Green sets together. No real need to make sure the batteries always go in the same place in the holder so long as the sets don't get mixed up. When one in a set goes bad, I replace the whole set (who knows what damage the failed battery did to the others and its best to keep them all the same "age", number of charge cycles, etc.).

Tried using a sharpie on these new Powerex batteries and the marker just pools up on the outside and wipes right off.

rcool101

Feed Provider
I just got some old nail polish from my wife and marked them with an X so I could tell the newer ones apart.To me they don't need to be in sets. I just grab 3 when needed. Just keep it Simple

WB2KTG

I use a MAHA charger / analyzer:
Amazon.com : Maha PowerEx MH-C9000 WizardOne Charger-Analyzer for 4 AA/AAA Batteries : General Use Batteries : Electronics

to condition and sort of match by capacity. I have migrated to eneloops exclusively after trying many brands. I have Red Green Blue Yellow White vinyl tape that I will wrap around a "set". Three positions possible Top of battery, Middle of battery, Bottom of battery. That gives me 15 separate sets, then if I have more than that, I start two color combos, which gives me another 20 sets. That's enough. ;-)

jasonhouk

I use a bc-9009 charger and record the results on a spreadsheet if I remember. Here's a image of Eneloop's
HR-3UTGB 1900 mAh that are little over 1 year and four months old.

J

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-08-07 at 3.43.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-08-07 at 3.43.22 PM.png
    42.9 KB · Views: 191

giant22000

As for me, I always mark the date purchased and the original mah I get after running a break-in cycle on the battery. This way I can tell when the performance of the battery starts to deteriorate and not mix different age batteries. Works for me.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

mrkelso

I use a MAHA charger / analyzer:
Amazon.com : Maha PowerEx MH-C9000 WizardOne Charger-Analyzer for 4 AA/AAA Batteries : General Use Batteries : Electronics

to condition and sort of match by capacity. I have migrated to eneloops exclusively after trying many brands. I have Red Green Blue Yellow White vinyl tape that I will wrap around a "set". Three positions possible Top of battery, Middle of battery, Bottom of battery. That gives me 15 separate sets, then if I have more than that, I start two color combos, which gives me another 20 sets. That's enough. ;-)

How do you like that C9000 ?

giant22000

How do you like that C9000 ?

Seeing as how that person hasn't been active in this thread since March I'll comment on that charger since I have one.

The Powerex Maha C9000 is an excellent charger! I've had it for about 4 months and have nothing bad to say so far.

I was on the fence about buying for quite a while and wish I'd bought it sooner now I have it. So if your on the fence about buying, wait no longer as you'll be definitely pleased with it as it greatly compliments Sanyo Eneloops!

mrkelso

Seeing as how that person hasn't been active in this thread since March I'll comment on that charger since I have one.

The Powerex Maha C9000 is an excellent charger! I've had it for about 4 months and have nothing bad to say so far.

I was on the fence about buying for quite a while and wish I'd bought it sooner now I have it. So if your on the fence about buying, wait no longer as you'll be definitely pleased with it as it greatly compliments Sanyo Eneloops!

Thanks. I found it on Amazon but it is a costly little device at $53+

Status
Not open for further replies.