How do you organize your ancillary scanner stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB2GOM

I'm talking about the stuff that is not used all the time, but might be scanner-specific, such as programming cables, power cables, unused belt clips, stock rubber duckies, etc.

Here's how I do it: for each radio, I grab a zip-lock bag, boldly label it with the radio's brand and model (with a fat permanent marker), and throw all the occasionally-used stuff inside. All the ziplocks for the various radios go into a cloth Icom shoulder bag (it looks like one of those cloth lunch-paks) that sits on a shelf. If I am "religious" about putting the ancillary stuff (when I use it) back in the right zip-lock, I never have trouble finding it.

How do you handle your ancillary stuff?

PACNWDude

You will not see me post my "shack" as it is just a desk with several clamp style lamps drooping down from the upper shelves, with cables hung over them. Imagine a radio whacker room where old radio gear and cables are off the floor, but placed wherever they can be somewhat out of the way. I have several Realistic Pro-2006 scanners, Pro-2032, Bearcat 895XLT, some Motorola CDM1250/1550 mobiles, and lots of programming cables, RIB's and mics hanging over lamps. However, they are in close reach and I know where they are when needed.

Small items like RF adapters and connectors are in Klein tool bags, organizer boxes shoved under the desk, or in cardboard boxes piled up along the nearest wall. It is like Christmas when I open a box after a few years and realize what is inside. Some have speakers, some had radios, handheld and mobiles, while others have wires, parts, and accessories. One year I may decide to get organized.

GB46

You will not see me post my "shack" as it is just a desk with several clamp style lamps drooping down from the upper shelves, with cables hung over them. Imagine a radio whacker room where old radio gear and cables are off the floor, but placed wherever they can be somewhat out of the way. I have several Realistic Pro-2006 scanners, Pro-2032, Bearcat 895XLT, some Motorola CDM1250/1550 mobiles, and lots of programming cables, RIB's and mics hanging over lamps. However, they are in close reach and I know where they are when needed.

Small items like RF adapters and connectors are in Klein tool bags, organizer boxes shoved under the desk, or in cardboard boxes piled up along the nearest wall. It is like Christmas when I open a box after a few years and realize what is inside. Some have speakers, some had radios, handheld and mobiles, while others have wires, parts, and accessories. One year I may decide to get organized.
I'm something of a minimalist and own just one scanner, a handheld, so the only ancillary stuff I have to organize is a pair of earbuds (usually in my ears), and some spare alkaline batteries, which are easily found in a kitchen drawer. There's just the stock rubber duck antenna, which is always on the scanner. My radio came with a charger and a belt clip, but I never use them, so I don't need to remember where I've put them. My laptop doesn't count, because i don't use programming software for the scanner. I keep a text-based backup of my stored channels and a PDF of assigned frequencies in my local vicinity, but rarely need to refer to them, so the computer isn't in use when I'm monitoring. I do use it for this forum, of course, but I'm usually not monitoring when logged in here.

And then there's also the user, but I always know where I can be found -- at least, so far. :D

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
These guys are pretty dang useful for keeping all the programming cables organized. I scored a bunch of them for free a long time ago:

You can also get old rack mount wire managers that work well. Or just buy a length of Panduit F Duct and cut it in half lengthwise.

All the cables get labeled as to which radio model the are for.

In the work truck, it all gets thrown in a Pelican case with the programming laptop. I use velcro cable wraps to keep them somewhat neat.
We buy miles of this stuff at work for cable dressing:

Status
Not open for further replies.