How do you Scan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevelton

I dont use scanners or ham radios for my general scanning, instead I use commercial LMR radios, because I own a 2-way radio shop, so I just use my business radios to scan public safety and ham stuff.

I am just taking a poll to see how other scannist have their scan banks set up.

My VHF radio is set up to scan the public safety and ham frequencies in use in the county that Im currently in. As I drive through to the next county, I start scanning that county. So I never scan more than a few VHF channels at a time, and only the channels that affect the local area where Im at (no need for me to hear what they're doing 3 counties away).

My UHF, however, scans my channel, our local ARES repeater, a few of my customer's channels, and 2 ham radio frequencies. It just stays scanning those same channels all the time.

I also use Tone Squelch on everything except state wide interop channel, to help keep out the skip

So how do you Scan?

Steven

Nap

I have an Icom R-20 at home, I have the local ham repeaters programmed, I use it mostly to listen to shortwave broadcasts or the local amateurs when they have a net or just rag-chew on 2m and 70cm. One hour earlier there was a net on VE3KSR and right now they're active on VE3RBM. (hello guys!)

I have a GRE 310 in the car, I have programmed the CB radio frequencies and a couple of emergency/broadcast frequencies with the purpose of getting an early alert if there is a collision or something that would block/slowdown my commute on highway 401.

I did play with the local trunked systems, but they're overwhelming - everyone from bus drivers to road works is there - so I generally don't turn them on.

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
Since B98.5% of the time I'm listening to and from work and I am only in 2 jurisdictions, button 1 is where I work and button 5 is where I live. Strictly FD & PD.

MarkHinton

I have my banks organized by service.

Pro-2039:
1 - Aircraft COM
2 - Aircraft NAV
3 - Fire/EMS
4 - Public Works
5 - Mixed WX (NOAA & Air)
6 - Amateur

BC72XLT:
1 - Aircraft COM
2 - Aircraft NAV
3 - Aircraft WX
4 - Fire/EMS
5 - Amateur
6 - Other
0 - NOAA WX

aps_ak

Premium Subscriber
My bank organization in PRO-106
1-City police department (about 10 channels)
2-Misc city police (mostly airport PD and university PD, also airport TSA)
3- City fire department
4- Alaska State Troopers (not used often - 90% of traffic is encrypted)
5-Local city police (basically all other police departments around Alaska, I keep this scan list on when traveling)
6-local city fire and ems (same concept as scan list 5)
7-air traffic control
8-Alaska railroad
9-Anchorage city government (everything from transit to road maintenance)
10- military bases
11- private security companies
12- local businesses etc.
13- temporary home of the new P25 Anchorage PD channels that will soon take over the 460mhz in scan list 1.
14-CB, GMRS and FRS channels
18-local P25 system wildcard
19-rest of trunking system wildcards
20- test bank (testing for active freqs, verifying etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.