How do you take glass mounted antenna off vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TJMeredith

Premium Subscriber
Can't find this answer on the Antenna page. Need to replace my scanner antenna. What's the trick to getting the On-glass Radio Shack scanner anntenna off my window glass without nuking the glass.....It's on there pretty tight.

Thanks in advance...Tom M sends

dangitdoug

Use a razor blade and fingernail polish remover. DON'T RUSH IT. Take your time and you should have no problems.

Doug K

jcecklund

I used a syringe filled with actone and inserted it under the glass mount being careful not to let any liquid touch the paint, it came off in about twenty seconds with slight back and forth pressure.

dangitdoug

When you think about the uses for fingernail polish remover, doesn't it scare you that our wives put this on their hands and then cook our food?

Jack-In-The-Box anyone???

jas0nr7272

I found that goo gone works well also.
I recently installed a glass antenna on a new vehicle. Has anyone ever had any water intrusion to the outside coupling? I wonder if I shouldn’t apply some silicone sealant to the outside where it meets the glass?

babyreb

TJMeredith said:
Can't find this answer on the Antenna page. Need to replace my scanner antenna. What's the trick to getting the On-glass Radio Shack scanner anntenna off my window glass without nuking the glass.....It's on there pretty tight.

Thanks in advance...Tom M sends
goof off work or wd40 i just bought a police harley davison they took the sticker package off with wd 40

TooLate

glass mounted antenna off vehicle

Acetone and plastic usually don't not play well together (very long)...acetone softens the syringe barrel as well as the rubber end of the plunger...causes plunger to stick to barrel of syrg, i.e. no smooth control while expressing acetone (fingernail polish).

I'm more in favor of WD40 and razor blade (no worries about paint this way)...just use patience and allow solvent to work on newly exposed crease as it creeps down to the newly exposed adhesive. Rock single edged razor blade while keeping sharp edge as close to glass as possible...should leave very little adhesive residue on glass...which is easily removed w/more WD40. Like "hukd on fonix...it werkd 4 me".
tl

Status
Not open for further replies.