How do you unzip files?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got a new Dell with Windows 7. I'm trying to update the firmware on my BCD396T. I have downloaded BCD396T V3 02 02.zip and BC VUP v2.0.0.7.zip. The instructions are to "unzip these files to your desktop". How do I accomplish this? When I double click on these files, I don't have an option to save to my desktop. I know this is probably a basic question but I am really struggling with this. I was able to successfully upgrade my BCD396T from 1.06.00 to 1.20.13. It seems I may be on the right track, however this has me confused. Is extract and unzip the same thing? I suspect not. Thanks for any help.
Rick

CapStar362

right click > Extract All Files > Select Destination > Enjoy

FYI Yes Extract and Unzip are pretty much the same thing

Thanks, I believe that I was trying to open these files before I saved them. I am yet unsuccessful in performing the update, but at least the files are unzipped. I'll have to make like a bulldog and dog this 'till I get it.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
The Zip handling of Windows Vista and 7 is done pretty well. If you need more options, you can try WinRAR (use at work to make simple installers with VBS), 7Zip or WinZip. I know WinRAR and 7Zip have 64bit versions that do process a lot faster on a 64bit OS.

N9JIG

Sheriff
You should also be able to double click on the archive, then select the contents, right click and select Copy, then paste them wherever you want to (outside the archive) and off you go.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
Sense your new to zip files and other compressed files (or what is called an archive), like .rar, .ace, .pk, .7z, and many others, one day you may find that you have a bunch of archives all numbered like data 1 0f 15, data 2 of 15, etc. To extract those you need to copy all those archives into a folder and just extract the first archive. The compression utility will automatically extract and combine the rest to result in a single uncompressed folder.

Several years ago I had to figure that one out by myself. :lol: See, I have only dealt with only one archive in the past, not 15+!

Another archive you may run into is an .iso. Look in magicdisk and other utilities that "mount" an .iso in a virtual optical drive. Better than having to burn the image (iso). Unless of course you want to burn the .iso to optical disk .

Good luck and happy learning! :lol:

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
You should also be able to double click on the archive, then select the contents, right click and select Copy, then paste them wherever you want to (outside the archive) and off you go.

One thing I learned with this is that you can't just copy and close the archive window. You have to leave it open. At least on here. Of course my system is configured diffrent.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I've heard of cases where Explorer corrupted zip files when using it to open them. Like another poster said, use a utility - 7zFM is free, and it works very well, once you get used to the program layout. We have WinZip at work (but we're not allowed to download files, so what's the point?). There are, no doubt others besides WinRAR....73 Mike

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
One thing I learned with this is that you can't just copy and close the archive window. You have to leave it open. At least on here. Of course my system is configured diffrent.

also, if you're tying to install something like a driver, you CANNOT copy and paste the location inside the zip from Windows Explorer using the compression utility in Windows. You must extract it first.

Status
Not open for further replies.