• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

How do you use ssb on cb

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ11DLN

Probably tradition. Unwritten rules from back in the day had sideband on the upper channels (and sometimes channel 16). Not sure why LSB is preferred over USB.

When I was active (long ago) it was 16, 17, 18 and 36-40, but it was convention rather than a rule. Everybody used LSB, never any valid reason given. Maybe people wanted to be different since Hams typically use USB.

I heard later that the sidebanders had claimed 31-40 as well as 14-18 and would fry the ears of anyone with the temerity to key up on AM in "their" territory...but that was mid- or late-1980s, after I'd left the game. Never understood that...when I was still active a lot of sidebanders had moved into the freeband above 40. You definitely met a lot fewer idiots and a******s up there!

TheSpaceMann

Have set up CB SSB radio at the cabin and having great time chatting with regular folks who have similarly rediscovered 11M. CB has been abandoned for the most part by those who used to abuse it so its actually nice to hear folks from around the north east when the conditions are good. What I dont get is why only 32 to 38 has SSB on LSB only traffic when there is actually all sorts of quiet channels that could be used.
I travel across the country on business, and I have definitely noticed an increase in local AM and SSB 11 meter activity over the last year or so. This is especially true in the Southeast and Southwest US!

xilix

Premium Subscriber
Regarding why the use of LSB vs. USB: It's been over 30 years since I've touched a CB, but I seem to remember it was to eliminate interference. For example, if you had someone using 37 LSB and someone else on 36 USB, they could interfere with each other if the users were in close proximity to each other.

EddieHusak

SSB on 11m can be fun! Don't fall for the "you'll need a linear" crap. I'll admit, I had one back in the day, as did my father. But, in the end, it really took the fun out of it. I have worked from Michigan to Italy and Argentina on 4 watts AM on a 45' Starduster antenna, and used to frequently talk to people as far as 75 miles away with a set of 3-element beams (Yagi). On sideband, I've worked other states and countries on the barefoot 12 watts. In ham radio, running on low power is known as "QRP", and I believe under 5 watts is called "QRPp". Being an internet forum, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm mistaken. I can tell you that I've talked from Michigan to Tennessee on a 1/10th watt (100milliwatts) walkie talkie during the big sunspot cycle of 1975!!

I do not presently have a CB station running, but I'm thinking hard about getting back into it again, as well as getting an amateur Tech ticket. I just have to save up enough pennies to do it.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
CB was an early form of social media. Get-togethers were called "coffee breaks". Really took off in the mid- to late 70's. Licenses were being issued still but the tsunami of folks getting on the band led to deregulation and no need for licenses anymore. My first Midland 23 channel SSB radio cost nearly $300 (at Forbees Electronics, Yonkers, NY, a CB store back then). Nowadays a mobile 40 channel SSB radio costs about half that.

Channel 16 was the epicenter of SSB activity. "Q" codes were part the lingo then. Still have a CB in the car, a President AX-144 and still like to hear radio chatter from stations far and near. Unfortunately sunspot numbers are low and band conditions are sub-optimal but it does open once in a while. Have even heard openings during snowstorms late at night. That's the fun of radio. Very capricious.

Glad to hear all the comments posted. CB is an American icon. See you on the flip flop good buddies.

FiveFilter

Just a friendly update on CB lingo Spongella: calling someone a "good buddy" nowadays on CB frequencies is considered to be a "same-sex" come-on.

Things change.

I often smile when I hear singers of yesteryear crooning about being "gay," then meaning happy, joyful, etc.

As is often said, English is a living language; so is CB lingo.

Status
Not open for further replies.