How does one open up an Antenex/Laird base antenna, fiberglass cover from mount???

Status
Not open for further replies.

sffiremedic

I picked up a pair of Antenex (now Laird) 8246 base antennas, 5 ft fiberglass omnidirectional 6dB gain. One has an LMR400 pigtail that spins so is not tightly connected.
The other has no pigtail. I called Laird and got their phone tree menu but Technical Support is not answering. ScannerMaster sells this antenna and were helpful,
they said their manufacturer's literature shows the fiberglass cover removed from the anodized gold base but he was not sure whether it was threaded.

I then tried taping the two sections and using vise grips (grit teeth!) with no positive result. It appears there is a sealant at the top of the anodized mounting area, could
even be a permanent bonding agent. FWIW these are labelled Antenex so made before Laird took over but it is a current model antenna. The opening at the base is 15/16" and the depth to the N connector is 8" and nothing I have that would come close to reaching would then be able to open enough to grasp the coax knurled ring.
I am hesitant to use a heat gun and more vise grip attacks!

For the non-pigtailed antenna at worst resort I can firmly tape or even bond the Coax ring to the coax shield and just twist "finger tight" the whole pigtail. But the other antenna has the rotating pigtail that cannot be removed or further tightened, although it does pick up signal.

Attachments

• u5eShyM1QAWyAxKF+xZRfg.jpg
    u5eShyM1QAWyAxKF+xZRfg.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 33
  • Mk8gqTizQJi0fqgLvFa7cw.jpg
    Mk8gqTizQJi0fqgLvFa7cw.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 34

cmdrwill

Laird/Antenex insides.

Attachments

• Laird ant insides1.jpg
    Laird ant insides1.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 36
  • Laird ant insides2.jpg
    Laird ant insides2.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 41
  • Laird ant insides3.jpg
    Laird ant insides3.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 35

sffiremedic

Laird/Antenex insides.

Thank you SO MUCH! My set screw in both cases was hidden under a yellow warning sticker “power lines!” etc. I never would have known they were there.

Last question. Is it possible to clip the elements to “tune” the antenna to a center frequency of 760mhz?

Status
Not open for further replies.