How does the dispatcher call the train?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
I've heard some beeping noises 3 times before dispatcher comes on, i guess sorta like sellective call

omrail

On CPR line in Canada and i would think the same for the usa. when the train crew what’s to call the RTC (dispatcher for you Americans) they dial in on the call in channel and there is 3 beeps to say the tower has received the call then a short ringing to say the RTC consol has got it. so I am thinking that is what you are haring. when the RTC what’s to call a train the RTC clicks on the tower that is nearest the train and it just opens the repeater with no noses. so the RTC can listen in with out the crews knowing.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
yeh yeh, I hear 3 beeping 3 times and automated voice says something then a few seconds later the tower comes on. I cant hear it too clearly since I am only using a portable VHF my GP68 with a duckie on it. If I move toward the window I hear it alright. I'll have to listen better next time thx

KC0QNB

Here in my area there is no beeping, just a simple call, for example Kearney sub to UP 8534 west, the train answers, they exchange the info required, Kearney sub out...UP 8534 west out.

The pbx system on the other hand is a whole different animal, DTMF tones signal the person being called, and I am sure there is DTMF decoder that sets of an alert of some kind, on the radio being "dialed". To be honest I haven't gotten that into the pbx monitoring that far all the DTMF tones and the ani bursts drive me nuts after about 2 minutes. I am willing to record a short sample and send out an mp3, pm me.

ab3ai

In my neck of the woods when the dispatcher calls a remote base (depending on the base equipment) there will be a set of DTMF tones to select the base. Depending on the base equipment they will send a series of tones back to the dispatcher to let the dispatcher know the base has been selected. If the dispatcher keys the mike before the tones end they end up on the air also.
Also, what omrail said. Down here the crew dials a 3 DTMF code and the dispatch center sends a steady tone to let the crew know the call has been rx.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
Here in my area there is no beeping, just a simple call, for example Kearney sub to UP 8534 west, the train answers, they exchange the info required, Kearney sub out...UP 8534 west out.

The pbx system on the other hand is a whole different animal, DTMF tones signal the person being called, and I am sure there is DTMF decoder that sets of an alert of some kind, on the radio being "dialed". To be honest I haven't gotten that into the pbx monitoring that far all the DTMF tones and the ani bursts drive me nuts after about 2 minutes. I am willing to record a short sample and send out an mp3, pm me.

They still use the old phone patches out there? What a joke...

Dispatcher calling a train: Simple... He activates the tower he wants to use and calls the train.
Train calling dispatcher: Train dials a certain DTMF Code, Tower sends back a tone saying the message was recieved and forwarded to the dispatchers call queue.

trainman111

CP Rail's system is very similar to most American RR's. It would have to be since we use each others locos interchangibly.

On the D&H, and CP Lacolle Sub, crews dial the dispatcher with 4 DTMF tones on the RTC/Disp call in freq (160.425 where I'm from on the D&H) . Each radio tower had a different combination so you had to know which tower you wanted to call. The tower would respond with two beeps, and then the tower would "ring" three times on the Standby frequency (161.100 where I'm from).
Now, down on the CSX in the Richmond, VA area it's a very similar system. I haven't lived here long enough to figure out the specifics but I do know that the trains punch in a series of numbers on the radio which activate the nearest tower. The tower sends out an annoying buzz acknowledging that the dispatcher has been notified and then the dispatcher answers.

Below is the link to a recording of the 2 beeps and 3 rings that the tower would broadcast on the train standby frequency on CP acknowledging that the dispatcher is aware someone has called him/her. By the way, the file name suggests that it's from CN. I got this recording from a download for Microsoft Train Simulator, but it is identical to what CP uses on the Canadian Subdivision and Lacolle Subdivision.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ggjjtqbnyha

Last edited:

omrail

CP Rail's system is very similar to most American RR's. It would have to be since we use each others locos interchangibly.

On the D&H, and CP Lacolle Sub, crews dial the dispatcher with 4 DTMF tones on the RTC/Disp call in freq (160.425 where I'm from on the D&H) . Each radio tower had a different combination so you had to know which tower you wanted to call. The tower would respond with two beeps, and then the tower would "ring" three times on the Standby frequency (161.100 where I'm from).

I know that mostly all railways in NA use the AAR channels from how I was reading I was taking it that the RTC gets the tower in a different way but I think I was getting confused. I work for CPR in Alberta Canada and for the 5 subs that we run on it is the same call-in code. from what I saw at one of the rtcs desk it jest shows on the computer screen for the radio system with tower is calling the desk. then the rtc will click on it and that opens the repeater.

weather4ar

On the UP it works like this. The crew dials up the dispatcher on the road channel using dialtones in their handset, or control panel. The dialtones are picked up by the nearest tower which lights up on a display at the dispatcher's desk in Omaha. When the dispatcher has been alerted, a tone comes back through the tower to signal that dispatch will be on shortly. When able, the dispatcher selects the alerted tower and answers, ex: (UP Dispatcher Omaha, Van Buren Sub, over.) The crew then answers and they converse. To call a crew, the dispatcher simply uses their display or train sheet to estimate where the train or MOW might be, and then calls them on the tower closest to the crew's location. This all occurs on the road channel.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.