How easy is it to learn..

Status
Not open for further replies.

wtd

how to use these new scanners? I have been out of scanning for quite a few years. I still have a UBC3000XLT, BC2500XLT, and a BC200XLT. I want to get back into it but after reading about the new Uniden 396, it all sounds greek to me. I have never used a Trunk tracking or digital scanner.

There is still quite a few conventional frequencies still in use where I live, but one of the largest cities close by uses a Motorola type II smartzone system. According to this website, it uses an analog and APCO-25 common air interface. I don't know what the last part means or really what scanner I need to monitor this system.

Some people on the Strongsignals website recommended I get the new Uniden 396 or 296. I feel a little intimidated after reading about these scanners since I don't really know what all of the terminology means.

So back to my original question, am I going to have difficulty programming a scanner like the 396 since I'm not very familiar with how the trunking system works? Thanks for any information.

Wayne

MacombMonitor

New scanners are not as complicated as they look. Granted, some users have more problems than others. In most cases I think it's because, like all of us do, we play with it for a few days, prior to really reading the manual. I still get a little confused when switching between Uniden and a GRE manufactured Radio Shack scanner. They both have about the same learning curve, but they're slightly different from each other, as to how they do things, and programming. If you go the software route, for programming, it will make life easier, no doubt!

RR has all the resources you need, should you get stuck! There are always great people here that are willing to share their knowledge, and help out, if you need it. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.