how far can i go

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbcscann

Terry
how far away can i pick up a talk group? less then 60 miles from my location..... For instance from barry county to green county I am able to go as far as taney county...

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
There is no standard answer to that, it depends on a lot of factors including towers, obstructions, antenna being used by you, type of system, among others.

If you look at the towers for the system, such as the MOSWIN, you'll see range circles that are approximate, such as these two.

Last edited:

wbloss

Human
Database Admin
Here's another answer - a talkgroup CAN (but not always does) "follow" a mobile unit as it crosses the state. Note many counties have "travel" TGs on MOSWIN. This allows for example a deputy from Adair County way in the NE corner of the state to talk back to his dispatcher while he is at the Lake of the Ozarks or in KC. When he keys his mike at the lake, his radio "affiliates" with the local MOSWIN repeater/tower there, which realizes he is using the Adair Travel Talkgroup and sends the audio thru the system to the tower in Adair county. It probably goes over the Internet, could be phone lines, or could be microwave -whatever the towers are connected to. SImplification but the power of Affiliation is what makes MOSWIN a system and not just repeaters here and there.

W0RS

Premium Subscriber
To be clear, I see Taney and Stone counties sheriff affiliate to the Hurley site and at times to the Branson site (but Branson sometimes R2D2 garble). I also see MOHP affiliate to the Hurley, Taney and Springfield sites, sometimes even Cassville.

Does this mean I am hearing those sites directly or the unit is just affiliating to the specific site. If what I am hearing is just the mobile unit affiliating to the site, from what tower then am I hearing the transmissions? Springfield tower?

Arkmood

If you look at the coverage area for Branson site, Nixa is on the fringe and vhf propagation most likely plays a key role in reception (on any given day) to receive the tower "directly", same can be said for the Cassville tower but to a lesser degree, and Hurley you should always be hearing directly with any decent antenna setup...

Status
Not open for further replies.