How far can I listen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsauerems

Feed Provider
I’m getting started with using SDRtrunk and am fairly unfamiliar with how trunking scanning works. I work in three different services in Kansas and want to listen when there are events while off duty, and I know I can do that with a full fledged radio but is SDR capable of covering the whole state or just a single control channel? I’d rather not shill out the money to buy a Motorola.

NebraskaCoder

It depends on how the trunking system is set up. Some will broadcast talk groups on a site (set of frequencies) all the time while a lot will only broadcast when a subscriber radio is tuned into that channel on the site you are monitoring.

CanesFan95

How far you can physically receive RF depends on how good of an antenna setup you have (height, gain, coax loss, etc.), the quality of your receiving device, and the antenna setup & transmit power of the transmitter. To hear a certain TG on a certain site on a large statewide system usually means at least one person must have their radio tuned to that same site and on that same TG.

Buying your own Motorola radio is not recommended because they are expensive and difficult to program and will transmit (affiliate, logining in to the system & TG) at times when you don't realize it which can get you in legal trouble or have the radio disabled (bricked) over the air.

gsauerems

Feed Provider
How far you can physically receive RF depends on how good of an antenna setup you have (height, gain, coax loss, etc.), the quality of your receiving device, and the antenna setup & transmit power of the transmitter. To hear a certain TG on a certain site on a large statewide system usually means at least one person must have their radio tuned to that same site and on that same TG.

Buying your own Motorola radio is not recommended because they are expensive and difficult to program and will transmit (affiliate, logining in to the system & TG) at times when you don't realize it which can get you in legal trouble or have the radio disabled (bricked) over the air.

I could get a unit number and have no problem legally using the radio, but yes unfortunately I do not want to spend the money. Maybe I can convince someone to throw the channels I want in a radio somewhere xD

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.