How far can RG8x be run overhead with no support

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC1LML

I'm sure this has been asked before but no luck finding anything. I live in an ice prone area and am wondering if a 40 foot overhead RG8x run without any support is feasible? I could run a nylon rope with it, but thought that might accumulate even more ice and sag to the point of breaking the coax.

WA8ZTZ

My approach would be to run the nylon rope messenger.
An ice load on 40' of RG8X would not likely break it but my concern
would be that the strain on the coax may cause the center conductor to migrate through the
soft foam and eventually contact the shield braid.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
According to Belden, their RG-8x has a maximum pulling tension of 75 pounds. Pulling tension is the amount of force used to pull the cable through a conduit for installation, not long term.
Long term exposure to ultra violet, temperature swings and anything else might change that.

Figuring out the ice loading would take some work, as that would add to the weight.

Then you have to consider how to support it on each end if you were just using the cable without a support messenger.

I think the idea of lashing it to a support messenger is a better idea. I'd use a steel cable to do that, not any sort of rope. Rope will stretch with weight where the coax will not. Putting in a messenger cable to act as you support and then lashing the coax to that would be easy and provide a longer term solution.

If 50Ω isn't a requirement, there are a lot of RG-6 and RG-11 cables out there that have built in messengers designed for supporting the cable from the pole to the house. I don't think I've ever seen a 50Ω cable with one, though.

BC_Scan

Here's a radical suggestion, I agree with he lashing method It will ensure a rock solid install, you could fine old steel messenger cable that telco has to dispose of for recycling obtain a suitable length from telco or hydro yard where all the trucks yard overnight, we toss out that stuff by the mile when its end of roll. It could be used as a support between two fixed points. Alternately the cable co has steel messenger built in to the outer sheath of an RG-6/8 for those longer distance , find some of that , nylon rope lash to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.