How far do other county systems reach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daneg

I was wondering if anyone had any idea how far other counties systems reach? How far into lancaster county (ephrata area) will anyone be up to pickup york, lebanon, berks, dauphins systems? I know York, lebanon and dauphin have different sites so that would make a difference I am sure.

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
It varies by the system. Some are designed to extend beyond their borders yet others are not. It also depends on signal propagation characteristics, time of day and weather as well as your receiving equipment especially your antenna and your location.

daneg

It varies by the system. Some are designed to extend beyond their borders yet others are not. It also depends on signal propagation characteristics, time of day and weather as well as your receiving equipment especially your antenna and your location.
It would be this one SP800BNC, SPIDER BASE SCANNER ANTENNA 25-1300 MHz FULL FREQUENCY COVERAGE, ANALOG OR DIGITAL with cable and BNC connector - Scanner World - The Largest Dealer of Scanning Radios in the World

W2NJS

If the system is 800 mHz a common practice is to "tilt" the antennas on the tower downward by a few degrees so that their coverage is more toward specific areas. You can actually see the downtilt on these types of antennas. On VHF and UHF the practice is to limit the coverage more by antenna gain, element location on a pole, and power limits. I have a local 800 system whose coverage drops noticeably when you leave the county.

zz0468

I was wondering if anyone had any idea how far other counties systems reach? How far into lancaster county (ephrata area) will anyone be up to pickup york, lebanon, berks, dauphins systems? I know York, lebanon and dauphin have different sites so that would make a difference I am sure.
Many systems are specifically designed NOT to cover outside their political boundaries. It's done to maximize frequency reuse. Also, simulcast systems usually require very carefully tailored coverage to manage overlap areas.

policefreak

I have yet to receive any of the dauphin county system anywhere in Lancaster county which I frequent certain times of the year. I have a BC396XT with a rubber duckie as well and can get some of the York county system from extreme Northeast Lancaster county.. I get in most of the sites with very choppy audio with a mountain facing the north and lots of trees around, and when I come down the hill into ephrata still very choppy. Lebanon comes in ok in most of Lancaster county...It starts to come in around MM 300 of the turnpike and just east of the Lanco/Chesco line along Rt 322 outside Honeybrook. I like to listen around too so whenever I'm in the Ephrata area I stick to Lancaster, Chester County Fire-EMS, and Lebanon Counties, PA turnpike District 4 and 3, and once in a while I'll try York County. In Ephrata very little is heard of Berks county. You'll get the Fire-EMS dispatch channel 155.295...I believe, and some of the dispatchers side of the police frequencies, and thats it. The Reading TRS is a no go in that area. I remember getting Montgomery County West from the very eastern portion of Lancaster County way up on top of Terre Hill, PA. Thats about it. Perhaps on a clear night with the right antenna you may be able to get Harford County, MD but that is still a long shot from Ephrata. Hope this helps! Enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.