How far will a scanner reach

Status
Not open for further replies.

burchill

Premium Subscriber
Just wondering what is the radius say the gre psr 800 would reach I am in halifax nova scotia would it pick up from 1 2 3 miles away or even farther?

IowaGuy1603

It will depend on the height of the transmitting antenna & power of the transmitter in relation to the antenna on your scanner.

Also the terrain or any other obstructions in between you and the transmitter..

I routinely pick up a public safety station that is almost 30 miles from me but I am on a pretty high hill

It will depend on the height of the transmitting antenna & power of the transmitter in relation to the antenna on your scanner.

Also the terrain or any other obstructions in between you and the transmitter..

I routinely pick up a public safety station that is almost 30 miles from me but I am on a pretty high hill

Thats pretty good. How is the cornfields in Iowa look this year?:D

rwier

Just wondering what is the radius say the gre psr 800 would reach I am in halifax nova scotia would it pick up from 1 2 3 miles away or even farther?

Scanners don't reach, they sit and listen.

How far can you hear? See the problem? When Krakatoa blew, back when, it was heard 3000+ miles away. (Krakatoa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

So how far can you hear me? As far as I can yell, lol.

Rob

Last edited:

trkntrlrman

RS-PRO 34, RS-PRO 60, BCD396XT, BCD996XT, SDS200
Premium Subscriber
Depends on a lot of things, one your elevation, two, type of antenna, Output power of the station, your surroundings, Powerlines etc....

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
A scanner will not reach out and grab signals,it will sit still and the signals will come to it hopefully if you have a good antenna with reasonable height.Different things will make scanning better or worse,like interference,antenna height,how far alway the antenna or tower the signal is coming from.

Status
Not open for further replies.