How feasible is it to pick up Baltimore City in Southern Howard County?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpectrumKing

Premium Subscriber
Good radio, but hard to stream with it - which is a goal for him. And the county he lives in currently has a SmartZone system thus G4/5 are incompatible (although probably will transition to a P25 P1 system shortly.) Seems like a working DSD+ installation is his best bet for now.
I just need the config file for the DSD+. There isn't one on RR for Howard County :/ if anyone has a file, please send it to me!

SpectrumKing

Premium Subscriber
Just an update. I got the BCD436HP and programmed it with the Sentinel Software. Side note, if you want to only monitor specific talkgroups/channels, you still need to have the full database loaded or in the favorites list. Just set everything else to avoid.

What I am picking up, from Columbia, MD:
  1. I'm picking up Howard County loud and clear. 4 bars even in my basement.
  2. Picking up AA County too but it's 2 bars.
  3. Montgomery County is 2 bars as well.
  4. PG County I can pickup as well
  5. I've picked up some Baltimore County but it's sporadic
  6. Have picked up transmissions as far south as Virginia (~25 miles in a straight line)
  7. I think I saw Baltimore City once but it's really a fringe signal and I think it was on the lower frequency simulcast.

Overall, I am very happy with the purchase but I do have some gripes with how it does recording. Instead of 1 continuous recording, it separates each tiny break in transmission into separate files. I'd rather not have 5 different WAV files for a 15 second clip. I wish it would keep recording for a few more seconds.

But a bigger gripe is with the metadata of the recording. The filename is just the time it's recorded. And it saves the county name in the metadata, but it doesn't save the service name (fire/police/public works/etc.) or the channel name. So if you're recording everything, you could be left with 1500 files for a couple hours of recordings with no easy way to sort or go through them all.

If there's any way to make bulk recording easier to manage, please let me know.

Also I have a question with simultaneous recording. How much spectrum or how many simultaneous recordings is the device able to handle at the same time before it starts to miss things?

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
But a bigger gripe is with the metadata of the recording. The filename is just the time it's recorded. And it saves the county name in the metadata, but it doesn't save the service name (fire/police/public works/etc.) or the channel name. So if you're recording everything, you could be left with 1500 files for a couple hours of recordings with no easy way to sort or go through them all.

If there's any way to make bulk recording easier to manage, please let me know.

Also I have a question with simultaneous recording. How much spectrum or how many simultaneous recordings is the device able to handle at the same time before it starts to miss things?

There aren't any recording applications that I am aware of. I record everything so it is often a ton of files to go through. I expand the options in the folder to get the best data information that makes it easier.

It has been mentioned to Uniden countless times but they have done nothing to make an app/software to better go through radio data.

I have attached a pic to show you what I do...

Attachments

• 09900.PNG
    09900.PNG
    60.3 KB · Views: 9
Status
Not open for further replies.