How hard is it to program.

Compaired to other scanners how hard is the Pro-94 to program? 1-easy, 10-complicated

Votes: 4 40.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 10.0%

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

metalhead

Compaired to other scanners how hard is the Pro-94 to program? It's my first handheld and I think it's a *****. 1 being simple and 10 being complicated.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Compared to the new digitals, a piece of cake - I've done 2 - one for my barber, and one for my neighbor who happened to find out who I was (Hi Glenn/Linda!) There are easier to read online manuals available right here...

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Pro-94

I'm going to guess that the Trunking is where you are having a problem. If you don't understand that, it becomes a little more challenging. Our Wiki also has some basic links on the subject, and if you are having problems here, this is the place - along with the link I just gave - where you should start.

73s Mike

[edit] It would also help if we knew exactly what system you were trying to program. Many people when they first start off buy the wrong scanner for the wrong system, and it causes more confusion that is really necessary.

Last edited:

KR4BD

The Pro-94 is the ONLY trunking scanner I own that I can MANUALLY program without getting the directions out! The Pro-92 is the WORST! I can never seem to get that one right even with the instructions!

metalhead

I've got mine trunking but when I hit the scan button to scan my manually stored talk groups it looks like it's scaning but nothing happens. When I hit the SRC button the trunk channels work.

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
And which system is it you're trying to trunk?? It sounds like the system is either not an analog system, or is programmed incorrectly. 73s Mike

metalhead

It's a type II system. It does trunk. But I'm haveing problems manually storing my talk groups and scanning them.

Eng74

The thing I don't like about it is you (or at least me) can not program a trunked system's id's unless you are getting a trunked signal. I can program all of the GRE's by hand and do it where ever I am.

kicktd

Eng74 said:
The thing I don't like about it is you (or at least me) can not program a trunked system's id's unless you are getting a trunked signal. I can program all of the GRE's by hand and do it where ever I am.

That is the only thing I don't like about the PRO-94 but as far as the rest goes once I understood how to program it, it was a breeze and it is really easy to program now. I think you can program it via computer by using Scancat-Lite Plus but I think you have to pay for Scancat :( when this should be a feature of the scanner itself.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Metalhead - from your earlier messages, it suggests that you don't have the system properly programmed - so when someone asks for which system you are using, that is not the type of system. Either give us the state/county/city, or the reference in the database; either one will be sufficient.
That way, people can take you from the beginning. Of course, it would help greatly if you would check out the link I supplied earlier - those online manuals there are pretty good. RTL! (like RTM)....73s Mike

metalhead

I'm in Durham NC. We have a Motorola Type II Smartnet analog system here....Anyway I fiinally got it working correctly. I too found out about the problem of editing your trunking channels without a signal just yesterday. I though my scanner was broken for a while. I still want to know how this scanner compairs to others. I'm thinking about a base unit. Something I can program with a computer.

Last edited:

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
metalhead said:
I'm in Durham NC. We have a Motorola Type II Smartnet analog system here....Anyway I fiinally got it working correctly. I too found out about the problem of editing your trunking channels without a signal just yesterday. I though my scanner was broken for a while. I still want to know how this scanner compairs to others. I'm thinking about a base unit. Something I can program with a computer.

Feel free to join us in the NC forum...we can help you out with any local radio questions you might have!
Marshall KE4ZNR

Status
Not open for further replies.