How Has Your Monitoring Changed During COVID-19 In Minnesota ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
As posted above, how has your monitoring changed during COVID-19 in Minnesota? Has there been an increase of certain types of calls and a decrease in others? I heard on the news this weekend that there has been a 49% decrease in motor vehicle traffic accidents according to the Minnesota State Patrol. So, does that equate to less activity on the State Patrol talkgroups? John Moe, you might be in a good position to comment on overall ARMER radio network activity.

I would also challenge people here that find themselves inside a bit more to try to listen to something new or something that you haven't listened to in a while. One of the things that I like to do from time to time is simply search the bands to see what frequencies are in use, what modes and any PL/DPL/NAC/Color Code, etc. that is in use. I haven't done it in a while, but I am doing it tonight.

There is more than one way to accomplish this. One is to simply use the search function. Another way is to program in a number of frequencies in sequential order. I have used both methods. The nice thing about programming in a number of frequencies in sequential order is you can add the PL/DPL/NAC Code, etc.

Also, if you do have more time on your hands right now, I would encourage you to make good use of it. For example, have you always wanted to get your amateur radio license? If so, this may be a great time to begin studying. If you are already licensed, work on your upgrade. If you are already an Amateur Extra, study for your GROL. Have you tried Network Radio yet? If not, download Zello and give it a try.

wogggieee

Premium Subscriber
This is solely anecdotal so take it for what its worth: my observation is that the amount of medical calls is either up or just more noticeable. Ramsey county automated dispatch has a category for "pandemic flu". Just about every medical call mentions covid. Every MRCC call in asks if there has been possible exposure. If there has been possible exposure they are met outside. Again, I dont know if there are actually more or its more noticeable but it seems like there is more domestics. Overall I feel like radio traffic is down, but again this is simply anecdotal and not backed up by data.

I'm laid off for now so I'll probably start working on my extra.

Edit: by mentioning covid I mean it's usually giving information about whether the patient has been exposed. But just listening for a few hours tonight I have heard of several likely cases.

stmills

I have no data to back this up but it seems like on the Hennepin fire side calls have been down. I decided to play with Tone Out on my 396 thinking call volume would be up and I really wanted to drill down to only the specific stations I was interested in during the day, I thought I had it set up wrong cause I was hearing nothing , turned a second radio to monitor 154.385 and low and behold the call volume was low, when I checked my computer files they matched what I hadn’t been hearing. We will have to see how thing continue.

JASII

Memory Capacity
The school district that I live in, ISD 196, will be delivering meals and doing newly scheduled routes tomorrow. While it usually isn't too interesting to listen to, it might be quite a bit more interesting listening to their MOTO TRBO Capacity Plus system tomorrow!

CcSkyEye

Call volume on the police and fire side appear to be down while ems runs are about the same for Carver County.

Just from what I've heard (or haven't heard).

fwfdengine2

Premium Subscriber
I have no data to back this up but it seems like on the Hennepin fire side calls have been down. I decided to play with Tone Out on my 396 thinking call volume would be up and I really wanted to drill down to only the specific stations I was interested in during the day, I thought I had it set up wrong cause I was hearing nothing , turned a second radio to monitor 154.385 and low and behold the call volume was low, when I checked my computer files they matched what I hadn’t been hearing. We will have to see how thing continue.

You're very correct. The HFMAIN is a lul as of late. On the other hand, in Eden Prairie, the fire department has started responding to every medical (previously CPR/Heart only) and they are doing 10+ EMS runs a day compared to the 1 or 2 before.

fwfdengine2

Premium Subscriber
Also, if you do have more time on your hands right now, I would encourage you to make good use of it.

My goal is to submit all of the information that i've collected over time and failed to submit to the database/wiki. My latest project has been fire tone out. With lots of metro depts. changing to automated or unication, their tones have changed too.

Status
Not open for further replies.