How is BR330T speaker/audio lately?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
I'm wondering if folks have had any additional problems with the BR330T speaker/audio. I had originally purchased one in late 2005 which apparently had the dreaded speaker problem. It was immediately returned and left me a little gun shy.

I suspect that Uniden has since completely fixed the QC or design issue. Now with the remote head coming out early next year I am thinking about giving the 330 another try. It would be a perfect pair since I have limited mounting space in my vehicle.

It's a toss up between the 330 or the Pro-97. The -97 is on sale right now, but it doesn't come with many accessories and a few people have mentioned display problems. And it may or may not survive rebanding.

Can anyone comment on any recent speaker/audio issues (or better yet, NON-issues) with the 330? Thanks in advance!

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
For mobile use you would want an amplified speaker, but the audio has been great on my 330.

bonus1331

Have both. I find uses for both. Audio on the 97 is better than the 330, as well as the Signal Stalker vs. Close Call.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
bonus1331 said:
Have both. I find uses for both. Audio on the 97 is better than the 330, as well as the Signal Stalker vs. Close Call.

Curious, why do you feel that Signal Stalker is better than Close Call?

bonus1331

I realize that they are functioning in two different manors; with the SSII really more scanning at high speeds. However, to some extent both are just looking for a high RF signal to peak out of the mess of other signals. I find the SSII to get hits significantly more frequently than my Uniden radios.
Ultimately, when I utilize the function I am looking for frequencies that I would normally not be able to locate.
I work at Charlotte Douglas Airport. I will take my 396 or 330 and get no Close Call hits whatsoever. However, everytime I take the 97 I'll get hits from the airport parking shuttles, airline maintenance staff, rental car shuttles, etc.
Others have mentioned the time it takes the SSII to get hits compared to the CC, however I don't have test equipment and when I don't receive any close call hits I couldn't tell the difference anyway.
I also find the 97 to be more sensitive on UHF and VHF than my Unidens. This using a variety of handheld antennas.

KB4REA

Radio Aficionado
I miss the audio on my Pro-97 but have been content with the 330's audio. I've had mine for over a month and it's great!!

Besides just being a smaller speaker, I haven't had any functional problems with the 330 as reported in the past...

Tom_G

I just picked up BR-330 and I have a had a PRO-97 for over a year.
I have noticed that the 330 audio seems a but distorted/muffled at lower volume levels, but it clears up as you turn the volume up.
Overall the 330 is a nice radio with "features galore" and a real nice overall size.
The LCD display is very nice also and packed with information.

I have always liked the PRO-97.
The PRO-97 audio is WAY better then the 330. It seems to have more audio power and more low end response.
One of the things I liked about the 97 was that I was able to slap it on my belt and go play ball in the yard with the kids and hear everything very well.
It will be interesting to test this with the BR-330.....
I'll let you know. Thanks, Tom/G

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Tom_G said:
One of the things I liked about the 97 was that I was able to slap it on my belt and go play ball in the yard with the kids and hear everything very well.

Was that with the supplied belt clip, Tom?

bonus1331

Carrying the 330 is one thing. The 97 needs a warning from the Surgeon General about carrying the 97 on your body may result in long term hip and back injuries and may result in stares from strangers.
The biggest con I have with the 97 is its size.

KB4REA

Radio Aficionado
bonus1331 said:
Carrying the 330 is one thing. The 97 needs a warning from the Surgeon General about carrying the 97 on your body may result in long term hip and back injuries and may result in stares from strangers.
The biggest con I have with the 97 is its size.
LOL!!
I agree, I fell in love right away with the size of the 330. That's why I accept the lesser quality in audio. Gotta be realistic, smaller radio = smaller speaker = not so great audio, but plenty sufficient. ;)

Tom_G

Lol

DaveIN, Yes it was with the one and only supplied belt clip.

Bonus1331, Cmon, this is a real brick......
http://www.hallelectronics.com/getech/img/pppa2.gif
I actually use these on VHF and UHF....... And talk about audio....!

Brewkelyn, Yes the size of the 330 is very nice.
Its hard not to like the radio for all that it does.

Icom did a great job with the R-2 audio and thats a real small package.
Best of Luck....

Status
Not open for further replies.