How is it expired FCC license still in use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wise871

Database Admin
In my area I noticed that there are a few business and hospitals still operating on an expired FCC license. These users are operating systems with repeaters (RM) which can be heard from great distances. Anyone know how they get away with this? I also noticed many who have no license at all and there operating a pretty powerful system.

Reason for asking is I hunt for new or unidentified frequencies based on the FCC data in my area. From the looks of it I also need to scan the expired ones in cases I'm missing something.

mastr

They get away with it for the same reason that any lawbreaker does; the people that can do something about it are not omnipresent. Just like an automobile with no tags, a radio will keep right on working without the license- and until a cop (or FCC agent respectively) shows up and finds it out, there is no significant penalty for either act.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
Reason for asking is I hunt for new or unidentified frequencies based on the FCC data in my area. From the looks of it I also need to scan the expired ones in cases I'm missing something.

I think you are just looking for scanner activity, then yes, looking at expired ones is always a good idea.

If you were looking to license one of them for your use, then no, you don't have to search the expired ones. You go and get a license on one of those "free" channels. You are now licensed and the user with the expired license has to get off the channel.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Expired

A lot of agnecies keep their old systems online for backup when they update to say a trunked system. Some OPs use it for covert conversations that they think no one will monitor.

cifn2

Feed Provider
I have heard discussion of agencies that have went 5+ years, my guess is that no one who shares the frequencies or is assigned it since the other is expired complains about it.

Mtnrider

Premium Subscriber
I found some expired people on one of my inputs.....interesting convo there.....end result......got re-licensed.....But on the other hand what you have could be licensed to the parent company and not show up right away, you'll have to some searching to be sure

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
A lot of licensees are now licensing under another name other than the company or corporation's name, for instance the company owner's name, attorney's name, or their radio supplier's name or license. They could also be using rental radios or radios on a LTR system which would be licensed under another name.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

The frequency licensee will be listed in the FCC database, regardless of the name used. (For legal users.)

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
If they are using a area wide or nation wide license, it won't show up on a local look-up. If you are using lets say for example a 70 mi radius of location "X" a license from someone who is area-wide or nationwide won't show up. BTW there are a lot of expired licenses, especially for P.S. people retire, phone numbers, addresses change, and the renewal notification doesn't make to the right person. As far licensing up on one of those channels, it's not free, it's going to run you about $1-2K, by the time you are finished with co-ordination and FCC fees. P.S. are exempt fro the FCC fee..

rescuecomm

Large entities operate with expired licenses because they change personnel regularly. The communication's persons desk might have been empty when the renewal notice came. LOL.. My rescue group actually got a neighboring counties TAC freq for a repeater output because their license had been expired over two years. With it being used as a short range simplex freq, no one knew they were still on it! Too late when our repeater went up and they complained about hearing it.

RS

ecps92

True, but depending on how the search is being performed your results may vary. I've find some listings only by not plugging in the STATE as the license was out of the CORP offices and not to the local Facility.

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

The frequency licensee will be listed in the FCC database, regardless of the name used. (For legal users.)

Status
Not open for further replies.