How is Pro-97 audio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
I see that the Shack is selling the Pro-97 again for $149. I am mostly a Uniden person, but the low price is pretty dang good.

How pleased are you folks with the Pro-97 audio? Is it loud enough in a vehicle, does it have a lot of vibration when turned up, etc...

How is it compared to other units, or even compared to Uniden units like the 246 and 330?

Also, how is it with the stock antenna or another ducky? A lot of pager intermod or computer interference? I wouldn't be using an outdoors antenna.

Last but not least, how about mil air performance with a ducky? I've got a Diamond RH77 I am considering using on it if I get one.

(Granted, the Pro-97 probably won't survive rebanding, but I don't bother with much trunked stuff anyways.)

Thanks in advance!

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
Buy it

I'm pleased with my pro-97 & at $149, it's a steal. I haven't noticed any interference. I have ctcss & dpl tones in a lot of the channels, which I suppose reduce that. If I have any complaints they are: the dcs channels for some reason drop out (as if it's sampling for a priority channel) and the way the display is set up.

The dcs thing isn't bad enough to make you miss any conversation... just more or less annoying than anything else and only happens when a dcs code is programmed in, and not on pl tone. The other thing is it will scan through the banks and give the bank tag ID while it scans. When the unit stops on a channel, it does not give the bank tag (like the 95)- maybe I need to go back and check the program to see if I missed something?

I haven't used the Uniden's, although I think I would like them as well. The 97's got great battery life- I have 2 sets of rechargeables, but one will last for at least 12 hours on a single charge. I bought the 800mhz ducky antenna for it, so I really can't give an opinion on the stock antenna as I haven't used it much. Although, I don't remember it being any different than any other stock antenna. Not the best, but not bad either for a hand-held antenna.

I haven't trunked with it very much. I was able to decode a nearby LTR system with it, but there's not much other trunked activity here at the present. When I have traveled with it, it seemed to track well.

All in all, I'd say it's a good radio and it is being sold at a great price.

bonus1331

Audio is LOUD!
I also find the 97 to be more sensitive on UHF and VHF than my Unidens.
Find the Signal Stalker to be alot more active than the Uniden's Close Call.
One minus-The 97's size feels like a monster after using the 396/330.
Bought mine used on these forums-feel like money well spent.

rpowley

The Pro-97 has very good audio. Reception seems to be typical for this type of scanner. I normally use a 800MHZ antenna, but the 97 does an pretty good job with the stock antenna. It also does an adequate job on mil-air.

Tom_G

Nice Radio

The PRO-97 audio is excellent. It is the best I have heard of any handheld scanner.
I will have a Uniden 330 this week so I can compare more then.
The radio should work well with the 77CA antenna.
The AM airband works well also.

And don't forget....
It will always work on EDACS and LTR trunking systems, only Motorola 800 systems won't work if Radio Shack doesn't support the radio.
$149 is a great deal for these, and you can find them cheaper used.......

Best of luck Tom/G, N1VVD

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
rescue1017 said:
Mine is very loud and I drive a power stroke so you know how loud they are

That pretty much answers my audio question right there. :D

Thanks for all the responses guys. I might just have to check one out! The LTR decoding would be a nice touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.