• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

How long of a wait for GMRS license

Hawkman

I just applied for my GMRS license. Any guess on how long of a wait I am likely to have? Since there is no test etc you would think it would only take days, but then I know what the federal government is like. I used to work for them.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I just applied for my GMRS license. Any guess on how long of a wait I am likely to have? Since there is no test etc you would think it would only take days, but then I know what the federal government is like. I used to work for them.

Yeah, start looking tomorrow morning, as they tend to run a lot of stuff overnight. However, sometimes it can take a few days if they redlight it for review, or their system is hosed up.

Hawkman

Thanks guys! I got it this morning. I had read somewhere that it takes weeks and you do not get an email but have to check the site, so I was concerned. Mine took about 48 hours and I did get an email.

Coffeemug

Premium Subscriber
I forgot how long it took the FCC to Issue me a license, but it was quicker than waiting my Amateur Radio License. With the non-sense in Washington, I expect the same old same old, on the FCC time frame. Meaning, you'll get your license when they get around to it.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I forgot how long it took the FCC to Issue me a license, but it was quicker than waiting my Amateur Radio License.

The hold up with amateur radio licenses is usually due to the VEC's taking their sweet time to send in the paperwork that says you passed your test. Every examiner seems to have a different plan. My wife's ham license took a few weeks because of this (along with everyone else that took their test the same day).

Slightly different process, but when I did my GROL license, the examiner did it immediately after the test session was completed, and I had my shiny new license by the next morning.

Meaning, you'll get your license when they get around to it.

The GMRS process doesn't involve anyone other than the FCC and the applicant, and while their processes can slow down due to issues with their systems, it usually (as in most times) only takes a working day or two to get through the system. Often the delays are due to the applicant having challenges with the often confusing fee payment system.

Renewals go much faster.

KF0NYL

I know this is an older thread. I applied for my GMRS license last month and it took 4 days.

W1SPS

I just applied for my GMRS license. On the website I have an FRN number and in the payment section is says "Green Light" and that I owe $35. When I go to the payment section I enter my FRN number but I cannot click on the payment buttons (any of them). Is there a waiting period to be able to pay?

ecps92

I just applied for my GMRS license. On the website I have an FRN number and in the payment section is says "Green Light" and that I owe $35. When I go to the payment section I enter my FRN number but I cannot click on the payment buttons (any of them). Is there a waiting period to be able to pay?
Clear out your browser Cache and also try a different browser that works sometimes

hill

Premium Subscriber
One day to get my GMRS license during the last few days of December 2023.

I already had an FRN with having a ham license.

Never had to pay the FCC before with getting my ham license and renewal before they started the payment system and won't have to renew that licennse until 2028.

All and all it went well for me and no issues with getting the GMRS License.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
In 2017 it was less than 24 hours during a weekday. I already had my FRN as a licensed amateur.

KF0NYL

It seems that most get their GMRS license in 1-2 days. It was taking up to 4 days back at the beginning of last October when I got mine.